MSU manager Jake Boss walks to the dugout before the Spartans take on Notre Dame on April 26, 2022/ Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM
MSU baseball prepares for rivalry weekend versus Michigan
Kyle Keegan, General Assignment Reporter • May 3, 2024

Today’s weather forecast is predicting partly to mostly cloudy skies with a high of 53 degrees and a low of 41 degrees.

Spartan volleyball fans set attendance record as MSU hosts Nebraska

Nearly one year ago last Oct. 14, 2022, Michigan State volleyball fans broke the program record for attendance by nearly 500 people.

So this year, when the Spartans hosted No. 2 ranked Nebraska last week, fans went all out with a total count of 8,789 in attendance.

The new attendance record set at the game surpassed the previous record by 1,463 people.

The student section was packed tight with volleyball fanatics, local community volleyball teams and students participating in the Izzone campout across the street at Munn intramural field who were offered free access with their campout registration wristbands.

MSU students rally at the Capitol for greater food security on Michigan campuses

Last Wednesday, MSU students and state representatives took to the Michigan Capitol to rally for greater food security resources at college campuses across Michigan.

Hosted by the Spartan Food Security Council, or SFSC, the event advocated for the introduction of the Hunger Free Campus Bill this month. If the bill passes, it would allocate resources tailored to the specific food security needs of the campus. This could mean establishing an on-campus food pantry or investing in already existing food resources.

According to the 2020 National College Health Assessment, two-fifths of MSU students have experienced food insecurity.

At MSU, expanded food resources may mean establishing food pantries in every residential hall and additional funding for cultural foods in dining halls, which are disproportionately underfunded, SFSC education chair Kate Loope said.

MSU Spartan Hackers use technology to innovate life hacks

The word “hack” is often associated with shadowy figures in a dark room, furious typing, and scary “error” and “breach” messages.

Although “hacking” is generally viewed as gaining illegal access to a computer system, to the Michigan State University Spartan Hackers, it means something different.

The Spartan Hackers club began in 2012, and is one of MSU’s largest and oldest computer science organizations. The club has hundreds of active members, including 1,200 in their Discord chat room.

Spartan Hackers President said despite negative connotations surrounding their name, the club works to educate their members about computer science and create a strong community.

The club puts on Hackathons which are typically 24-48 hour competitive marathons, where participants try to creatively solve coding projects.

Those with questions or seeking more information can visit the Spartan Hackers website and join the club’s Discord.

Based on original reporting by DeShawn Johnson, Kayla Nelsen and Jayden Hewitt.