Today’s weather forecast is predicting some sun in the morning with increasing clouds during the afternoon with a high of 83 degrees and a low of 63 degrees.

MSU’s Career Closet: Clothing for Young Professionals

MSU Career Services Network added a notable resource for students looking to bridge the gap into professional careers: the Career Closet.

With its grand opening this past Aug. 28, the Career Closet offers students formal work attire at no charge. It aims to supply students with apparel that they otherwise would not be able to afford.

The Career Closet has been a project in the works for about eight years. Karin Hanson, the Career Services Network director of employer relations and communications, said the closet wasn’t finished earlier due to a lack of financial resources at the time. However, the Career Services Network received sufficient funding for the closet this past winter.

Students have seven days before the clothing needs to be returned, and the Career Closet is open throughout the year for student use.

The Career Closet aims to build its selection from student feedback to stay relevant and useful to the students.

First-come, first-serve: Students line up outside of The Abbot in hopes of signing a lease

Early Monday morning, the sidewalks of Abbot Road were filled with students wrapped in blankets, lined up outside of The Abbot in hopes of signing a new lease with the complex.

Students could be seen lining up on the corner of Abbot and Grand River near the Grand River Walgreens as early as 6 a.m. due to the high demand of off-campus housing.

By 1:30 p.m. on Monday, the two-and three-bedroom floor plans were fully-booked.

This system was created in response to the large influx of residents looking to sign a lease last year.

This year, the prior applications and line made for a much smoother leasing process.

At this time, places like The Abbot and CCM still have apartments and larger houses available for lease. Still, these listings could disappear soon as leasing started for many companies on Friday, Sept. 29 which have already seen most availability signed away.

Students bring back MSU skydiving club to “enjoy the beauty of skydiving”

One small group of MSU students is dedicated to an activity that most people will never try in their lives — skydiving.

The MSU skydiving club started back up last spring under the leadership of mechanical engineering senior Noah Roux following nearly two years of inactivity due to the pandemic.

One of the steps was getting the club a faculty adviser, a requirement for Registered Student Organizations, or RSO.

The club, despite finding a faculty adviser, has also struggled in becoming an RSO. Roux told a reporter for The State News that he believed the club had been officially designated as an RSO, but the club does not show up on MSU’s website for student organizations.

Roux emphasized how rich and vibrant the skydiving community is and how after much experience, skydiving can be a profoundly relaxing experience.

Based on original reporting by Kyle O’Connor, Joe Lorenz and Owen McCarthy.