Today’s weather forecast is predicting rain showers early with overcast skies later in the day with a high of 64 degrees and a low of 55 degrees.

MSU student government debates mandatory relationship reporting

A controversial bill that would require Associated Students of MSU representatives to disclose intra-organizational romantic relationships to the Office of the President was a focus of debate at the Sept. 21 general assembly meeting.

Bill 60-22 was written to prevent relationships between ASMSU members from interfering with general assemblies. Past romantic relationships between members had negatively impacted the organization, creating “hostile work environments” and once caused a member in the Office of the President, or OTP, to resign.

Some representatives believed the bill had good intentions but should be reworked in next week’s committee meeting.

Multiple representatives, including two OTP members, noted how disclosing a relationship may go against some students’ cultures, potentially putting them in an “unsafe situation.”

With five votes in favor, 14 against, and 11 abstentions, bill 60-22 failed.

Lansing celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month

This past Saturday, Lansing commemorated Hispanic Heritage Month with their first “Taste of Hispanic Heritage Festival,” with the help of 517 Hispanic Heritage and Our Space 517, an organization that promotes diverse entertainment and business opportunities.

The street was lined with food trucks highlighting unique foods from an array of countries.

The festival wasn’t just limited to food; it also offered live music, dancing, an art installation and many Hispanic-owned business vendors.

This festival established Lansing’s growing interest and celebration of Hispanic culture and for many MSU students, it meant growth.

Events such as these in Lansing offer the ability for students to keep in touch with their roots while away from home. It also opens the door for non-Hispanic students to educate themselves more about other cultures.

The entire weekend, Lansing had unique events to educate and celebrate Hispanic culture. On Friday night, Lansing hosted the Hispanic Heritage Dance Class and Mixer where people from all different cultures came together to learn different Hispanic dances.

On Sunday evening, Lansing hosted a Latin Jazz Night with a live band, providing entertainment.

MSU holds National Pan-Hellenic Council Yard Show for Divine 9 fraternities, sororities

Last Thursday, in the Wharton Center, Michigan State University’s National Pan-Hellenic Council hosted a Yard Show, an annual event consisting of nine historically African American fraternities and sororities, also known as the Divine Nine.

The Yard Show is a series of performances where the Greek life organizations showcase their group’s history through performances – such as speeches, dances and chants – in front of other chapters. Hundreds of students wore their chapter’s paraphernalia and held signs to support their brotherhood and sisterhood.

And the fraternities and sororities did just that. Attendees would cheer after a performance or introduction and join in the festivities by dancing or singing along to the music.

Based on original reporting by Willow Symonds, Gabrielle Yeary and PJ Pfeiffer.