Welcome back to The State for fall 2023!

If you are new to The State or a returning listener welcome back! I’m Rachel Fulton and a little bit about me is that I am the Podcasts Director and a News Producer here at Impact 89FM and this is my 3rd year hosting The State podcast. I am super excited to be back this semester bringing you daily news from The State News here at Michigan State University.

Today’s weather forecast is predicting sunny along with a few clouds with a high of 90 degrees and a low of 72 degrees.

Spartan traditions make a comeback as football season returns

It was a beautiful day in the city of East Lansing Friday, and the energy in the air was palpable. With students lining the sidewalks and tailgaters all around, the first Michigan State Football kick-off of the season under the Friday night lights was imminent.

Senior Peyton Mowry was tailgating with family and friends before the night game and as a first-year ticket holder, she said she was very excited for the game to start.

With 12 more expected games, and 6 of them being home games, students are ready to take on more weekends of fun, and the exciting energy that comes along with being in green and white at Spartan Stadium.

Mowry plans to attend the rest of the games to see the progression of the team and continue the tradition that comes with being an attendee.

“My expectations are so high,” Mowry said. “Just to have so much fun, which I already think I am going to, and meet lots of new people.”

How to protect your car amidst the ‘Kia Boys’ trend, attempted thefts on campus

Social media is filled with a variety of tutorials, from winged eyeliner and vegan recipes, to video game cheat codes.

But a certain controversial tutorial that gained traction in 2022 has now seemingly become popular on MSU’s campus: how to steal a Kia or Hyundai vehicle.

Just last week, the Michigan State University Police Department sent an email alert warning of attempted motor vehicle thefts across campus to students; all of the incidents involved 2011-2021 Hyundai and Kia vehicles.

In addition to the three attempted thefts on campus, MSUPD spokesperson Dana Whyte said there has been a trend in Kia and Hyundai thefts in the Greater Lansing area as well.

Knowledge of this software flaw grew online following the publication of a YouTube documentary entitled “Kia Boys Documentary (A Story of Teenage Car Theft),” which detailed a group of Milwaukee teenagers who used the vehicle’s accessibility to joyride in stolen cars.

Whyte encourages anyone with a Kia or Hyundai made before 2021 that has not received the software update to contact their dealership and request one.

Here’s how MSU students can protect their network following University of Michigan internet outage

As the University of Michigan recovers from a cybersecurity attack and days-long campus-wide Wi-Fi outage, Michigan State University is hoping individuals can help best secure its network from potential threats.

Richard Forno, assistant director of the University of Maryland Center for Cybersecurity, said that trusting institutions to secure networks can only go so far, because each device a user connects to it is a potential entry for malicious actors.

Forno laid out two simple things users can do to best secure their online presence:

1. Don’t use the same password across multiple services. He especially warned against repeating passwords for important accounts like banks or investments and less sophisticated systems like local newspaper subscriptions.

2. Regularly check emails, banks and credit reports to see if someone has attempted to steal your information.

Cyber-attacks can also come through links and attachments in emails. MSU students or staff who receive suspicious emails should forward the messages to [email protected] so they can be handled by the university’s IT department, MSU Deputy Spokesperson Dan Olsen said. If they engaged with a link in the suspicious email and provided their log-in information, they should also reset their password.

Based on original reporting by Madilynn Warden, Hannah Holycross and Alex Walters.