Welcome to the last week of The State for the 2022 fall semester! Today’s weather forecast is predicting overcast with a high of 43 degrees and a low of 33 degrees.

MSU defensive lineman Jacob Slade declares for 2023 NFL Draft

Michigan State defensive lineman Jacob Slade announced his intent to declare for the 2023 NFL Draft, foregoing his extra year of eligibility granted by the pandemic. He made the announcement this past Saturday afternoon through his Twitter account. Slade finished the season with 20 total tackles but was forced to sit out four games due to injury.

Slade first joined the program in 2018 where he redshirted before earning a starting spot at defensive tackle in 2019. Since then, Slade has played a key role on the defensive line and became a veteran leader during the 2022 season.

After starting the first two games of the season, Slade went down with an injury causing him to miss the next four games. He returned against Wisconsin along with fifth-year safety Xavier Henderson and the difference the two made was immediately felt.

Slade is the fifth Spartan thus far to announce their intent to declare for the draft, following redshirt senior wide receiver Jayden Reed, fifth-year tight end Daniel Barker, redshirt senior linebacker Ben VanSumeren, and senior defensive end Kendell Brooks.

The 2023 NFL Draft will take place from April 27-29 in Kansas City, Missouri.

Student-run theater company Second Stage Productions brings Rocky Horror Show to MSU

For the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic, Second Stage Productions, an MSU student-run theater company, will return to the stage to perform Rocky Horror Show on Dec. 9 and 10.

An organizational subset of the MSU Department of Theatre, Second Stage aims to give students of all disciplines an inclusive theater experience, Rocky Horror Show director and Second Stage marketing director Josh Denver said.

The Second Stage season extends with three main shows per semester during the fall and spring. Along with a full production by Second Stage Productions, students from Second Stage Musical Theatre perform a cabaret and students from the Second Stage improv group, After School Special, perform an improv show. However, in the past two years, the Second Stage seasons were filled with smaller productions and student-written work.

In typical Rocky Horror fashion, audience participation is encouraged throughout the show. Donations to Second Stage of any amount allow audience members to receive a bag of rice to throw at performers during the show. In addition to call and response interactions, Denver said the audience will be invited to perform the song “The Time Warp” with the cast onstage.

Denver said the upcoming performance is an opportunity to bring back aspects of the original Rocky Horror Show fan base from the 1970s, like costumes and midnight showings.

The Rocky Horror Show will premiere on Dec. 9 at 8 p.m. in the MSU Auditorium Arena Theatre. There will be additional showings on Dec. 10 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 at the door.

Crumbl Cookies opens new location in Lansing

Crumbl Cookies, a Utah-based specialty cookie shop, opened a new location in Lansing last Friday morning.

Customers began waiting in line around 7:45 in the morning, said Crumbl Cookies Lansing owner Andrew Lord. The other nearest locations of the cookie shop include Grand Rapids, Novi and Ann Arbor.

Lord said the Lansing location was approved in the summer of 2021 and construction began in July this past summer. The company also plans to open a location in East Lansing in 2023.

“For all kinds of people in the community, it’s a chance for them to be able to have a Crumbl to call their own, where they can still get what they want without having to spend half their day driving,” Lord said.

Crumbl Cookies is located at 501 N. Marketplace Blvd. East in Lansing and is open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.

Based on original reporting by Jenna Malinowski and Kayla Nelsen.