Northeastern guard Tyson Walker commits to Michigan State

Manit Patel, General Assignment Reporter

The Michigan State men’s basketball team dipped into the transfer portal for the first time this offseason when combo guard Tyson Walker announced he was committing to play for the Spartans this upcoming season on Saturday.

Walker, a rising junior, had played two seasons for the Northeastern Huskies before declaring his intentions to transfer. He’ll provide an immediate scoring boost, should he be granted instant eligibility for the Spartans.

Averaging 18.8 points per game and 4.8 assists per game this season, you could certainly see an improvement compared to his freshman year when he was averaging 10.4 points per game and 3.3 assists per game. Not to mention, he was named the CAA Conference Defensive Player of the Year.

As a high school recruit, Walker wasn’t highly touted, garnering only two Division One offers from Northeastern and Saint Louis University. He was the 484th-ranked prospect in the country with an 0.8528 composite rating, courtesy of 24/7 Sports. 24/7 had not posted an updated transfer portal rating for Walker as of Saturday.

In addition to Michigan State, Kansas, Maryland, Miami (FL), Texas and Vanderbilt were all interested in Walker once he hit the transfer market.

As a domino effect, keep an eye on guards Rocket Watts, and Foster Loyer and their status for the Spartans for the upcoming season. Along with Walker, highly-touted recruits Jaden Akins and Max Christie Jr. are slated to join the team next year as well.

Overall, the addition of Walker will give the Spartans a dynamic scorer and defender, as well as a great locker room leader.