Three student-athletes and three staff members test positive for COVID-19 in latest round of testing

McLane Baseball Stadium at night/ Photo Credit: Luke Sloan/WDBM

Nathan Stearns, News Director

EAST LANSING— During the week of March 19-25, Michigan State conducted 1,552 COVID-19 PCR tests on student-athletes and athletic department staff members. Overall, three student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19 out of 1,160 total tests.  Three staff members also tested positive out of 392 overall tests.

Testing results cover all MSU sports teams that are currently participating in the Big Ten testing program. Currently, student-athletes and staff members for men’s and women’s soccer, volleyball, field hockey and rowing are being tested on a daily basis.

Furthermore, student-athletes and staff members who participate in men’s and women’s track, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s golf, baseball and softball are being tested in accordance with the designated Big Ten testing schedule. Those who have a positive antigen test are required to take a PCR test to confirm the result.

Three student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19 during the week of March 12-18. This week is the first week since March 5 in which any athletic department staff member has also tested positive for COVID-19.

Since the beginning of June, when the MSU testing program was established, over 18,100 total COVID-19 tests have been administered by MSU, including over 13,800 tests on student-athletes and over 4,200 tests on staff members. 244 student-athletes and 31 staff members have tested positive for the virus since June.