Luke Fulton and Charles Willekes enters the transfer portal

An empty Spartan Stadium/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING — Michigan State linebackers Luke Fulton and Charles Willekes—who have both been suspended indefinitely after being arrested on Sept. 8—have entered the transfer portal.

Fulton and Willekes were arrested after an incident occurred at the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house, which is located north of campus. Fulton posted a $1,000 bond and—after being arrested for assault and battery—was granted Holmes Youthful Trainee Act status. This law allows for Fulton’s arrest to be sealed, provided that he doesn’t commit another offense. 

Willekes was arrested for misdemeanor assault and battery, as well as a misdemeanor drunk-and-disorderly charge. 

Fulton was a three-star recruit in the class of 2018. Despite holding offers from over 30 Division I schools—including Wisconsin, Indiana, Syracuse, Northwestern and Cincinnati— Fulton formally committed to MSU on May 24, 2018. He was also named the MSU Scout Team Special Player of the Week in last season’s game vs. Rutgers.

Fulton originally hails from Youngstown, Ohio.

Willekes, the younger brother of Spartan great Kenny Willekes, received some playing time on special teams last season. He made his debut last season against Michigan and was named the MSU Scout Team Special Player of the Week against Tulsa. 

Unlike Fulton, Willekes enrolled at MSU as a walk-on.