Haley Sinclair, Case deKoning

Access to post-secondary education isn’t a given for everyone. Across the U.S., different policies might restrict undocumented immigrants from attending college, and inconsistent policies can create confusion. Hannah Boyke is a Ph.D. student in the school of social work. On Wednesday, she presented on these barriers to education in coordination with dreaMSU.

Boyke said that she hoped that attendees would take those lessons away from her presentation, especially one surrounding the legal inconsistency.

“If you’re a senior and you’re trying to apply to school and you’re undocumented, it’s going to be so difficult to really even assess what you can do because of how much variation is in the state policy,” Boyke said. “With the different court cases, you have some court cases affirming it, saying it’s OK and you have other ones saying it’s not OK.”

The former rules that states are given the ability to determine residency based on the location of the student’s high school, therefore making in-state tuition available despite immigration status or citizenship, while the other rules students could be denied enrollment solely due to immigration status.

Mobility industry experts discussed Michigan’s industry, government and academia’s role in the future of autonomous mobility in a Michigan State University forum Thursday.

Some of the technologies MSU developed include shuttle and bus systems. The university is looking into automated systems for food delivery and custodial work and landscape maintenance.

According to Stanley, over 60% of MSU engineering graduates take a job in Michigan, and about 85% of graduates take a job in the Midwest, all of which potentially playing a role in Michigan’s mobility industry. So, the experts took a look at Michigan’s influence and what those looking to go into the field must be aware of.

East Lansing police are searching for five robbery suspects after a phone store was robbed Tuesday morning.

The incident occurred at the AT&T phone store on Trowbridge Road where upon entering the store, the robbers demanded all of the phones in the store’s safe, to which the store employee complied.

No weapons were seen by employees and no one was injured as a result of the incident.

All suspects were wearing masks and between the ages of 14 and 17 years old and between 5-feet-7-inches and 5-feet-10-inches tall.