MSU lands three-star cornerback Steffan Johnson

Mel Tucker talks with offensive coordinator Jay Johnson/Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING — Michigan State coach Mel Tucker is having himself a good week on the recruiting trail.

A day after landing four-star defensive tackle Rayshaun Benny, three-star cornerback Steffan Johnson (Venice, Florida) announced his intentions to suit up for MSU in 2021. 

Johnson—a teammate of fellow MSU 2021 commit Charles Brantley—is the 18th commit of the 2021 recruiting class. Both Brantley and Johnson currently play for the Venice Indians. Both players have also helped lead the Indians to an 8-3 record and a berth in the FHSAA Class 7A football playoffs. Johnson also runs track in the spring. 

Johnson—who was recruited as a cornerback by Harlon Barnett and Mike Tressel—has also received many snaps at quarterback and wide receiver for Venice. Last season, Johnson started seven games at quarterback; he ran for 984 yards and 13 touchdowns as well as passing for 404 yards and five touchdowns. Behind Johnson, Venice finished the 2019-20 season with an 8-5 record and reached the 7A state semifinals.

Before transferring to Venice, Johnson started at quarterback for North Port High School (North Port, Florida) and had a 3-7 record.

247Sports has Johnson ranked as the No. 210 overall prospect in Florida and the No. 1520 overall prospect in the nation. Johnson—who had previously committed to Rutgers—has a composite rating of 0.8323. He decommitted from Rutgers back on July 25.

Although Johnson isn’t the highest recruit in the 2021 class, his speed and versatility will significantly assist a MSU secondary that has struggled at times this season. Johnson might even be able to carve out a role on offense due to his game-breaking speed and playmaking ability.

Johnson chose MSU over Coastal Carolina, Rutgers, Eastern Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, Marshall, Tennessee State, USF, Virginia, West Virginia State and Eastern Kentucky.