Mel Tucker provides update on players opting back into season

Michigan State head football coach Mel Tucker. (Photo: Michigan State Athletic Communications)

Zach Surdenik, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING – Big Ten football is coming back and all across the conference, players who had previously opted out of playing in a potential winter or spring season are coming back to compete for their schools in 2020. Big name players in the conference that have already announced their decisions to come back include Ohio State stars Shaun Wade and Wyatt Davis. 

There are also some Michigan State players who are either looking into the decision or have already announced their intent to change course and play in 2020. Marcel Lewis, a redshirt freshman linebacker, originally announced back in August that he would be opting out of the season, but just hours after the Big Ten’s announcement on Wednesday morning, Lewis reversed his decision.

Lewis said via Twitter on Wednesday that he “decided to make this decision weeks ago. This decision was due to the more resources we have now and more development in our testing protocols.”

The biggest question that comes to mind after Lewis’ decision is whether any more Spartans will follow suit. Seniors Jordan Reid and Jacub Panasiuk both decided to opt out as well as freshman Justin Stevens. 

Reid and Panasuik would both be very important pieces to help Michigan State’s team in 2020. Reid already has two years of starting experience on the offensive line and has started every game over the last two seasons. Panasiuk also has two years of starting experience and is the only returning starter from a defensive line that has been dominant over the past few seasons. 

Coach Mel Tucker said in a press conference via Zoom on Thursday that he didn’t have any more updates on players opting back into the season, but said that it should be settled “within the next few days or so.” He also emphasized that they will support the players in their decision, no matter which way they decide.

Follow Zach Surdenik on Twitter @ZachSurdenik.