MSU announces plan to resume in-person classes this fall

Haley Sinclair

Michigan State University students will have the opportunity to return to campus this Fall. President Samuel L. Stanley Jr.  notified the campus community in a letter Wednesday afternoon.

The letter details key issues MSU officials will face that are still uncertain, such as scheduling classrooms and contract tracing.

Students will be exposed to a hybrid of in-person classes and online instruction for those who choose not to return to campus this fall.

Hybrid  instruction will begin Sept. 2. In-person classes are set to conclude on Nov. 25 to coincide with the Thanksgiving holiday. Final examinations and instruction after Nov. 25 will be held remotely. This plan is designed to reflect models that suggest a potential increase in COVID-19 cases in Dec, according to Stanley.

“The fall 2020 semester will look different from any previous semester at MSU,” Stanley wrote. “The driving factor behind our decisions will continue to be the health, safety and well-being of students, faculty and staff.”

MSU established a COVID-19 Reopening Campus Task Force to guide the university on how best to reintroduce the Spartan community to campus.

Stanley encourages physical distancing and wearing face masks while on campus.

The previously scheduled 2020 fall break has been postponed with plans to be implemented in future years, according to Stanley.

President Stanley and Interim Provost Teresa Sullivan will be participating in a webcast on May 29 at 7 p.m. to address student concerns relating to the upcoming fall semester. University communications created a webpage where students can submit questions prior to the webcast.