Flint native, ESPN Top 100 recruit decommits from Michigan State

Point guard from Flint Beecher decides to re-open commitment ahead of 2019-2020 high school season.

Brendan Schabath, General Assignment Reporter

FLINT — Michigan State basketball commit Jalen Terry, the No. 73-ranked high school recruit according to ESPN and a Flint native – announced on Twitter around 1 p.m. Monday that he would be re-opening his commitment.

“Me and my family have decided to re-open my recruitment”, read the highly touted guard’s tweet.

Terry is entering his final year of high school at Flint Beecher High School, and his de-commitment from MSU may come as a shock to most Spartan fans. However, with MSU’s already guard-heavy roster and the brand new commitment from four-star point guard AJ Hoggard, it was not totally out of the blue. 

Hoggard, the No. 56-ranked recruit in the nation out of Huntington Prep in West Virginia announced his commitment to the school on Oct. 6. 

Hoggard adds to the Spartans’ already stacked line up of young guards that includes Michigan natives Rocket Watts and Foster Loyer. Terry’s fit into the crop of young stars became cloudier after Hoggard’s commitment. With the large band of young talent in East Lansing, Terry might have found it difficult to find playing time in Izzo’s lineup. 

Terry averaged 17.4 points, 5.6 assists and 4.6 rebounds in 18 games on the Nike EYBL circuit last season and is one of the top players in the state of Michigan, who many are saying could win the state’s Mr. Basketball award. 

He is known for his extreme athleticism that, when combined with his quickness and leaping ability, could give a team a lot to work with at not even 19-years old.

The four-star guard is now left to make his college decision again, with interest from other schools such as Missouri, Iowa State, Butler, and Iowa.  So for now, Terry will be looking to play college basketball, just not in East Lansing.

Brendan Schabath is a freshman journalism student at Michigan State University and a volunteer at Impact 89FM.