Impact 89FM

Exposure – 4/28/19 – PERIOD@MSU and SciFiles

Back to Article
Back to Article

This week on Exposure, Stephanie spoke to Nama from PERIOD @ MSU,  the local chapter of a non-profit organization dedicated to destigmatizing, celebrating, and providing for menstrual health and hygiene through advocacy, education, and service. We talked about how she got involved in the greater PERIOD organization and how it started at MSU, as well as how to be an advocate for the menstrual movement. For more information on PERIOD, check out their website!

On SciFiles, Chelsie and Daniel talk to Darren Incorvaia, a third year PhD candidate in the Department of Integrative Biology and a member of the Ecology Evolutionary Biology and Behavior Program. Darren studies bumbles, their foraging behavior, and their social environment all working in tandem with one another.

About the Writers
Stephanie Stapert, Author

Stephanie is from Grand Rapids and is a junior majoring in Creative Advertising at Michigan State. At WDBM she is the website manager, interview coordinator, and the host of Exposure. You can find her singing along to any song, running around doing too much work, commenting on every play at any sporting event or encouraging her friends to do something adventurous. Check out what else she can do on her website!

Chelsie Boodoo, The Sci-Files Host

Chelsie is a Biomedical Engineering Ph.D. student at Michigan State University. She studies what happens when the bladder is overstretched. Specifically, she is curious about what happens to the extracellular matrix and the metabolism of the cells after they are stretched. She co-hosts an Exposure Series, The Sci-Files with Daniel Puentes. Together they explore the different topics that graduate students study on The Sci-Files at WDBM.

Daniel Puentes, The Sci-Files Host

Daniel is a graduate student in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, where he does research at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory. His research involves measuring the mass of radioactive nuclei, and how it can tell us how protons and neutrons are arranged inside of a nucleus. This research also helps scientists understand how the elements were created in different stellar environments! At WDBM, he and Chelsie Boodoo co-host The Sci-Files.