Long-awaited Renovations Will Welcome Spartan Fans in Munn’s Opening Night

Munn Ice Arena turned 40 years-old last fall, and as a result, MSU’s house of hockey received some much needed renovations.

Fans coming to Munn Thursday night to watch the Michigan State hockey team take on Lake Superior State, may notice a few changes that were made over the summer. These changes are the first of many significant ones that will come over the next few years.

Over Christmas break last season, Munn was equipped with a large LED jumbotron that hangs over center ice. The jumbotron also has high definition screens that allow fans to better see replays and enjoy the game in a different way if they so choose.

Located in each corner of the concourse of the arena are four large LED lit scoreboards. These scoreboards, which were also put in last season, will continue to add to the enhanced visual experience people will have when coming to watch the Spartans play.

Also along the concourse, fans will find clearly specified areas for handicap seating throughout the arena.

Finally, during the offseason, all of the bleachers were taken out, except for the student section, and replaced with chairback seating that will allow fans to watch the game more comfortably.

MSU senior captain Michael Ferrantino told the Lansing State Journal that he thinks the renovations will be “huge for the program” and expects Munn’s new look to be both a boost to the fan experience and to lure potential recruits.

This is truly an exciting time for the Michigan State hockey program. It seems only fair than an arena that is filled with so many great memories receives an update so that it can continue to produce more.