Everybody Lost Somebody | Bleachers

Cover photo taken by Dan Silbert

The ultimate paradox of nostalgia-seeking and future-oriented that Bleachers, Jack Antonoff’s latest project, is notorious for is heard yet again in his latest release, “Everybody Lost Somebody.” Serving as the third single on his upcoming album Gone Now, which is out on June 2nd, it transforms itself into the third part of the story that Antonoff has been trying to convey for years. In essence, it sounds like the lulling background of any indie coming-of-age flick, and we’re all here for it.

Antonoff’s sophomore album is meant to serve as a final page to this chapter of his life, and the bittersweetness that lingers after an act of completion can be heard in his vocals alone. The feeling I imagine 20-somethings have when moving on from life at their parents house and seeing hometown friends scattered across the country is an indescribable one, but it’s just another check-mark that coincides with growing up. Shouting “Tryna get myself back home, yeah / Looking like everybody / Knowing everybody lost somebody” each chorus makes it seem like he’s longing for the past, but it’s only a thoughtful reflection needed to prepare himself for a long-awaited beginning.

While there are multiple interpretations as to how the song plays into the theme of the album—moving on— Antonoff stated on his Twitter that the song is dedicated to his experience of losing his younger sister while he was in high school, along with how the composition of it came into fruition. Pain felt from losing someone so close in such formative years shows where the rawness in his writing comes from, but in typical Antonoff style, the track is laced with jazzy melodies, thanks to the incorporation of bouncy saxophones. I’m convinced only he can pair such dark moods with cheery melodies, but a signature trademark like that is one to hold on to.

Besides hearing his take on what life’s been like so far on Gone Now, check out Bleachers at St. Andrews on June 25th to better understand the New Jersey born-and-raised musician. Along with creating one of those “this is it” magical experiences that only come from his experimental nature and honest songwriting, he’ll also be travelling with his childhood bedroom— the literal one from his parents house— so that fans can get an up-close and personal look as to where his mind really was at during all of his past writing sessions. Is this sudden need to emerge into a new era on the brink of something amazing? Maybe. Will the product of it result in something divine? You tell me.