Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Michigan State baseball set to open up Big Ten play against Maryland

Sarah Smith
Mitch Jebb during the 2022 MSU baseball season. Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

EAST LANSING –  In the early stages of the 2024 season, Michigan State baseball will open up conference play against Maryland on March 22 in a three-game series. Winning three of their last four, the Spartans hope to carry that momentum into Big Ten play.

The early part of the season has seen many highs and lows, but the Spartans are now searching for more consistency across their lineup as the games become more meaningful. The team currently sits at 8-10 overall, and hopes to get off to a fast start in Big Ten play.  “It’s a lot of questions and answers right now,” MSU head coach Jake Boss Jr said. “We’re trying a lot of different things but I think offensively we’ve maybe held up better than I expected but still searching for some roles to be filled on the mound.”

The Spartans currently sit at seventh in the Big Ten with a team batting average of .296 on the season. The offensive production has been led by senior outfielder Jack Frank, who leads the team in batting average .333 and an OPS of .952. The senior leader looks to lead by example for the team as they search for consistency.

On the defensive side, the Spartans hold a  fifth-place spot in the conference with a 5.24 team ERA. 

“The goal is to have things figured out by the Maryland series,” said Boss Jr.

Offensively, the team sits one spot behind the Spartans with a team batting average of .287. 

Maryland comes into the matchup at 16-5, with their pitching leading the way. The Terrapins boast a team ERA of 4.31, good for  second in the Big Ten, only behind Nebraska. 

With many pieces from last year’s roster no longer on the team, new leaders have emerged to help build and improve this year’s team, and the young players look to find their footing as Big Ten play begins.