The Sci-Files – 3/17/2024 – Yunting Gu – Articulatory Preference: Explaining Universal Sound Patterns

On this week’s episode of The Sci-Files, your hosts Mari and Dimitri interview Yunting Gu.

Despite the differences in languages, some sound patterns are common to most languages of the world. For example, cross-linguistically, syllables starting with pl are more frequently observed than syllables starting with pt, which is more frequent than syllables starting with lp. Also, syllables that have a consonant followed by a vowel (such as so) are more common across different languages than syllables which is a vowel followed by a consonant (such as an). The question is — where do the observed linguistic universals come from? There are two possible answers. First, it may merely be a coincidence that languages share some patterns. Second, linguistic universals may come from some shared property of human beings.

Yunting Gu is a PhD candidate in linguistics from Michigan State University. Her research in speech production suggests a basis for several universals regarding the sound pattern of languages.

If you’re interested in discussing your MSU research on the radio or nominating a student, please email Mari and Dimitri at [email protected].  Check The Sci-Files out on Twitter and Instagram!