Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Matriarchs of Music | Kate Bush
Ryan Beylerian, Writer/Volunteer • April 26, 2024

Second half spark propels MSU over Maryland

Brady McDonough
MSU graduate guard Moira Joiner drives against Maryland graduate guard/forward Brinae Alexander on Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at the Breslin Center.

EAST LANSING – Michigan State women’s basketball welcomed the Maryland Terrapins into the Breslin Center for the Spartans’ first home game of 2024. 

MSU came off a tough loss on the road to No. 3 Iowa where Hawkeyes guard Caitlin Clark made a game winning three-pointer. 

Michigan State head coach Robyn Fralick believes the team’s slow start could have been due to having a week without games.

“We had a week off, so we had our bye week a little early in the season and it felt like ‘oh my gosh, we have a game, we have to crank it up a notch,” said Fralick. 

MSU graduate guard/forward Tory Ozmet drives into the lane against Maryland on Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at the Breslin Center.

Maryland ended both quarters of the first half with 7-0 runs.

MSU was held to only seven points in the second quarter. The Spartans uncharacteristically shot poorly from behind the arc, only making 2 of 15 three-point attempts in the first half.

In the third quarter, Michigan State scored 24 points, more than they had in the first half combined. Later in the third, sophomore guard Theryn Hallock came off the bench and made a corner three to give the Spartans the lead. MSU led by three heading into the fourth.

The Spartans were finally able to connect on three pointers making 4 for 8 in the fourth quarter. Michigan State was also able to get to the free throw line, knocking down 11 of 12 from the charity stripe in the fourth.

Fralick was pleased with the adjustments that were made at halftime.

“We changed what we were doing [offensively] and it gave us a lot more space,” said Fralick. “It gave us better ball movement and better drives where we were open as opposed to earlier where they were really helping from everywhere and in the second half when they helped from everywhere, I thought we were able to take advantage of it.

MSU graduate guard Julia Ayrault lays the ball up against Maryland on Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at the Breslin Center.

Michigan State co-captains Julia Ayrault and Moira Joiner both contributed 20 points in the 74-69 victory for the Spartans.

Fralick explained how the co-captains impacted the game.

“Their maturity, their experience and their leadership has shown through,” said Fralick. “I thought they had some of the most critical baskets of the game for us.”

This is only the third time in program history that MSU has beaten Maryland. The Spartans are now 2-2 in Big Ten play and 12-3 on the season. 

MSU will head back on the road to face No. 17 Ohio State in Columbus next Sunday.