2024 NFL Draft Full Team Grades: Teams 17-32
Jack David, NFL Beat Reporter • April 28, 2024

Michigan State’s late-game rally falls short in B1G loss to Nebraska

Cole Pannell
MSU graduate guard Moira Joiner drives against Nebraska on Saturday, December 9, 2023 at the Breslin Center.

EAST LANSING – The Michigan State women’s basketball entered Saturday’s  matchup against Nebraska undefeated at the Breslin Center this season, and looking to win its first Big Ten opener since 2020.

Nebraska defeated the Spartans 80-74, by controlling the game with their physicality, rebounding and shooting. 

The Spartans’ offense has been successful this season, scoring 93.8 points per game and third in the NCAA in three point percentage.

However, three point shooting was an issue in this game. MSU collectively went 4-for-27 from behind the arc.

“For as well as we’ve been shooting the three we didn’t shoot it well tonight and we had good shooters taking shots, shots we’ve made consistently this year,” said Michigan State head coach Robyn Fralick.

Nebraska forward Kendall Coley made consecutive buzzer beaters to end the first and second quarters. The Cornhuskers led by three at the end of the first half.

MSU’s offensive struggles continued in the third quarter. The Spartans were held to 13 points in the third frame, shooting 31 percent from the field with no three pointers made. 

Late in the fourth quarter the Spartans found themselves down 17 points with 2:17 remaining. Sophomore guard Theryn Hallock sparked a late comeback to cut the Cornhusker lead to four points. However it was too little, too late, as Nebraska would hold on to win 80-74.

MSU sophomore guard Theryn Hallock celebrates a basket against Nebraska on Saturday, December 9, 2023 at the Breslin Center.

The big question for the Spartans is if they would be able to match the size and physicality of a bigger team like Nebraska. 

Nebraska center Alexis Markowski was dominant on the glass for the Cornhuskers, leading  all players with 17 rebounds.

“Right now with our team and where we are, her size is a challenge for us,” Fralick said. 

Coach Fralick believes that the team can improve on their communication moving forward.

“Our ability to listen and all be on the same page is really, really important,” said Fralick. “In these games you got to execute and you have to all move together and we have to get better at that.”

The Spartans will look to bounce back against Central Michigan next Sunday Dec. 17 at 2 p.m.