The “Scrap” for Techno: An Interview with Carl Craig
Jovana Nagj, Co-host of Terminally Online • May 2, 2024

Hallock’s career-high pushes Michigan State past Miami Ohio

MSU sophomore guard Theryn Hallock sinks a three-pointer against Miami (OH) on Sunday, December 3, 2023 at the Breslin Center.

EAST LANSING – Miami (OH) wasn’t able to contain Michigan State on Dec. 3 in a defensive game, falling 89-44 to the Spartans.

“We had a good team home win today,” MSU head coach Robyn Fralick said. “I thought there were patches of the game we played a little frustrated, but I also thought we got out of that and found ways to play some really good team basketball and finish the game strong.”

The Spartans got off to a slow start early in the first quarter. Junior guard DeeDee Hagemann put up the first points for MSU with a three and a free throw. 

MSU junior guard DeeDee Hagemann sinks a three-pointer against Miami (OH) on Sunday, December 3, 2023 at the Breslin Center. (Jack Moreland)

Miami struggled during the second quarter. Freshman guard Jadyn Scott ended the scoring drought for the Redhawks with a jumper, but the Spartans pulled away to a 35-16 lead by the end of the first half. 

In the first half, graduate student guard Julia Ayrault led the Spartans with nine points, eight rebounds and four blocks. MSU shot 100 percent from the line, 7-7.

“I thought the second half we played off multiple sides better and we were able to attack the paint off the dribble,” Fralick said. 

The Redhawks went on a 5-0 run in the first minute and a half of the third quarter with a three-pointer from freshman guard Lakresha Edwards and two free throws from freshman guard ​​​Nuria Jurjo

Miami scored 22 points in the third quarter, but MSU maintained a strong lead of 64-38 at the end of the quarter.

In the fourth, Miami only scored six points to MSU’s 25. MSU shot 43 percent from the field, 29 percent from three, and 91 percent  on free throws. 

“It’s a great example of a ball doesn’t have to go in for a three to be effective,” Fralick said. “In the second half especially we found ways to get to the rim and get to the free throw line and capitalize there.”

Turnovers and scoring droughts hurt the Redhawks. They had 29 turnovers and the Spartans scored 30 points off those turnovers. 

“Other than the third quarter, I really thought we were dialed in defensively,” Fralick said. “We wanted to be able to dictate the tempo and how the game was going to be played, and I thought we did a good job of that with being able to force turnovers.”

MSU sophomore guard Theryn Hallock dribbles out the clock at the end of the fourth quarter to close out a victory against Miami (OH) on Sunday, December 3, 2023 at the Breslin Center.

Sophomore guard Theryn Hallock had a career-high game. She finished with 17 points and led the Spartans in the second half. After the game, Fralick spoke of  Hallock’s great athleticism, speed and disruptiveness.

“We challenged her a little bit ago about having a plan like just being consistently in the gym, and working on shooting and finishing in free throws,” Fralick said. “She’s been doing that, and so I think when you put those two things together really good things happen.”

Up next, MSU will host Nebraska on Dec. 9 at 2:00 p.m. for its first Big Ten matchup.