High-powered Spartan offense trounces Depaul, 102-64

Brady McDonough
MSU guards (from left) Gabby Elliot, DeeDee Hagemann and Moira Joiner celebrate on the bench against Detroit Mercy on Thursday, November 16, 2023 at the Breslin Center.

CHICAGO, IL – The Michigan State women’s basketball team was back in action on Thursday evening against Depaul, looking for a bounce back after their first loss of the season versus Creighton in the Cancun Challenge.

The first quarter was fast-paced, with both offenses shooting over 50 percent from behind the arc. The Spartans took a 29-24 lead into the second quarter.

The Spartans defense stepped up in the second quarter, holding the Blue Demons to 30% from the field and only allowing 8 points.

Michigan State junior forward Jocelyn Tate and DePaul guard Anaya Peoples each received technical fouls after a brief altercation in the third quarter.

Once MSU got rolling, it never looked back, outsourcing DePaul 56-32 in the second half.

Moira Joiner led the team with a career-high 26 points. The graduate guard shot 55% from the field, and recorded four three-pointers, going 4-for-9 from beyond the arc.

Sophomore guard DeeDee Hagemann returned to form after only recording six points against Creighton. She had 17 points, six assists, and five rebounds in the win.

Graduate guard Julia Ayrault continued her impressive play at Wintrust Arena, putting up 17 points.

Ayrault earned a spot on the Cancun Challenge All-Tournament team after averaging 18 points and 10 rebounds.

For the fourth time this season, the Spartans have hit triple digits in scoring, and it is also the first time the team has posted 100 points or more in a true road game since 2018.

“It’s our first true road game, so i’m just proud of the way our kids competed for 40 minutes,” said Fralick.

With the win, Michigan State women’s basketball secured a Power Five conference win for the first time this season, defeating the Blue Demons, 102-64.

The Spartans return to the Breslin Center on Sunday, Dec. 3, to face off against Miami Ohio at 2 p.m.