Do Power Pop, Not Drugs | “Semi-Charmed Life” by Third Eye Blind

What I would consider to be the catchiest song ever written about crystal meth addiction came out 26 years ago as the first single of Third Eye Blind’s debut self-titled album. “Semi-Charmed Life” is absurdly catchy, opening with doo-doo-doo-doo’s in an almost One Direction-ish fashion. The upbeat pop-rock melody is juxtaposed with unexpectedly dark lyrics, telling the story of a relationship tainted by addiction.

“Semi-Charmed Life” was released in February 1997 and hit the Billboard Hot 100 in July of that year, debuting at 17. It peaked at number 4, spending a total of 43 weeks on the chart. The song had similar success on other charts, and it won a Billboard Music Award for Best Modern Rock Track. Notably, Dave Grohl of Nirvana and Foo-Fighters was once asked by Spin Magazine what ‘97 lyric he wished he had written, and he answered with the refrain of “Semi-Charmed Life.”

Despite the dark undertones, I firmly believe now is the time to listen to the alt-rock/power pop hits of the ‘90s and 2000s before summer is officially over. I’ll leave you with one of the few sweet lines in a song that is mostly a discussion of meth:

I believe in the sand beneath my toes /

The beach gives a feeling, an earthy feeling / 

I believe in the faith that grows.”