Today’s weather forecast is predicting showers in the morning moving more into just cloudy skies in the afternoon with a high of 53 degrees and a low of 48 degrees.

MSU James Madison College student dies from vehicular accident injuries

James Madison College junior Matthew O’Daniel died on March 15 after sustaining injuries in a vehicular accident March 12, according to an email from James Madison College dean Cameron Thies.

O’Daniel was majoring in international relations and served as a Marine reservist. His funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. this Saturday. March 25 at St. Peter’s Catholic Church in Eaton Rapids.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Matthew’s family and friends during this difficult time,” Thies said in the email. “MSU Student Life and Engagement is working with the O’Daniel family to provide support. We ask members of the Spartan community to honor Matthew’s memory.”

According to the email, counselors from CAPS attended O’Daniel’s classes Monday and Tuesday. CAPS also provides remote crisis services 24/7 for no charge.

Tower Guard to host 23rd annual Shamrock 5K

Tower Guard will be hosting its 23rd annual Shamrock 5K this Saturday. A student-led organization, Tower Guard is a second-year honors group dedicated to serving the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities, or RCPD, at MSU. The organization collaborates with the RCPD to help scribe for exams, create more accessible textbooks, hold one-on-one tutoring and build a more inclusive environment for all students.

The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and start at the MSU Auditorium. Those interested can register for the race through MSU Tower Guard’s Linktree.

“Literally everyone is welcome to attend,” race coordinator and run chair SunYoung You said.

She said the route takes runners to the Brody neighborhood, to the East neighborhood and back to the auditorium. Runners can either register online, or Tower Guard members will be there to register people on the day of the race.

You said that the Shamrock 5K is the biggest fundraiser Tower Guard has.

The funding will provide for assistive technology, audiovisual educational materials, leadership development and career readiness opportunities.

When the last person crosses the finish line, the awards ceremony will take place and raffles will be drawn. Every participant gets entered in a raffle to win items from local businesses and sponsors.

First ones in, last ones out: The life of a bar employee on St. Patricks Day

In the early hours on Friday, March 17, the warm temperatures from the day before had not yet departed. The sidewalks were coated with rain and muddy footprints. The early hour discouraged cars from hitting the roads yet — the only light came from the streetlamps and neon signs of bars along Grand River and Albert Avenue.

Outside of the strip of bars, the city seemed to be asleep or slowly waking. But on St. Patrick’s Day, celebrations start before the sun rises. Eager students arrive at bars as early as 5 a.m. to be the first to get their foot through the door and a drink in their hand.

At Landshark Bar and Grill, St. Patrick’s Day prep begins days in advance. Workers decorate the interior in green from top to bottom. They make hundreds of Jell-O shots and stock up on kegs and green beer. After the days of prep, the bar is set for the 14 hour shift ahead of them.

Agribusiness management sophomore Carter Pickering arrived for his bartending shift at 6:52 a.m. He woke up late and ran to work.

Among the staff, there was a lot of anticipation leading up to St. Patricks Day. But, busy days like that are Pickering’s favorite time to bartend.

This attitude serves to benefit Pickering because by 7:18 a.m. his bar top was surrounded by customers. He helped eight people at once. When he got the chance, he took quick breaks to sip on water and Red Bull, which he said will be his “savior.”

By the end of the day, assistant manager Jenna Piotrowicz said the whole bar had collectively sold over 5,000 drinks. After, the staff cleaned up the remaining empty cups, wiped down all the tables and floors and walked out the door around 4 a.m.

The following day did not start as early. Bartenders will not serve specialty green drinks or play Irish music over the speakers. But the staff will still show up ready for work, like they did on St. Patrick’s Day and every day before.

Based on original reporting by Vivian Barrett, Selma Cogo and Hannah Woehrle.