After last week’s occurrence, I hope all of the Michigan State University community including students, staff, faculty, alumni, families, friends, and others who have affiliations with MSU have had time to grieve and mourn this devastating act of violence and hopefully we can move forward positively.

Today’s weather forecast is predicting partly to mostly cloudy skies with a high of 43 degrees and a low of 31 degrees.

GoFundMe organized for international student paralyzed in Monday’s shooting

International student John Hao has been identified as one of the five Michigan State University students who remain hospitalized after the mass shooting last Monday. A GoFundMe was started by his roommate to raise money for medical costs.

Hao is currently paralyzed from the chest down after a bullet severed his spinal cord and injured his lungs.

Hao’s parents have traveled to East Lansing to be with their son, despite not speaking English and having no way of earning any income while they remain in the US. All funds will allow them to remain in-country while their son recovers.

Hao is a sports enthusiast with “dreams of traveling the globe and having a career in sports management,” according to the GoFundMe page. He is also a leader in the MSU Chinese student community.

Sparrow Hospital senior media relations specialist Corey Alexander said he could confirm that four survivors remain in critical condition, while one survivor is stable.

MSU to pay hospital bills for 5 students injured in Sparrow Hospital following mass shooting

Michigan State University will be covering hospital bills for the five students injured in Sparrow Hospital, Deputy Spokesperson Dan Olsen confirmed.

Hospitality business junior Guadalupe Huapilla-Perez has been identified as one of the five hospitalized students. Her sister, Selena Huapilla-Perez, created a GoFundMe to raise money for hospital costs and compounding expenses. According to the page, Huapilla-Perez’s family, who are migrant workers, are traveling to Michigan from their home in Florida to be with her.

Selena Huapilla-Perez said the family is seeing hospital costs that will burden them during an already difficult time, as the family is away from home, unable to work and Huapilla-Perez does not have insurance.

In addition, the Spartan Strong Fund was created by the university “to provide support for the evolving needs of the individuals most critically impacted,” including student and staff counseling and campus safety enhancements.

Michigan tops Michigan State on night where basketball takes back seat

On Saturday, a basketball game was played between two rivals and two of the best programs in the Big Ten, Michigan State and Michigan. The final score hardly mattered to most in attendance.

The matchup, which ended in 84-72 in favor of the host Wolverines, was a backdrop to a night of healing and a distraction for the entire state of Michigan, still reeling from last Monday night’s shooting on MSU’s campus that left three dead and five injured.

Upon entry into the main arena, all fans were given a white sticker with a green heart and the Spartan head smack dab in the middle. At each seat was a wristband, able to change colors throughout the game.

Both teams were greeted with support from the crowd as they entered for the game itself. Following the typical pre-game festivities, the arena went dim. Overhead lights and the glow of thousands of wristbands painted the Crisler crowd green and white.

A moment of silence was held for the three students that lost their lives in the shooting – Arielle Anderson, Brian Fraser and Alexandria Verner – and the additional students still recovering in Sparrow Hospital. Head coach Tom Izzo, never afraid to show his emotions, barely held his tears as his team and staff stood at attention.

Despite the events of the previous week and the clear emotion on display, Michigan State put together a gutsy, almost complete performance on both sides of the court. Led by graduate senior forward Joey Hauser’s 20 points, the excellent play was just not enough to overcome the Wolverines in the final few minutes.

Offensively, the Spartans were carried by three players through the first 20 minutes: senior guard Tyson Walker, senior forward Malik Hall and Hauser.

The Wolverines repeatedly tied up the game through most of the second half, but they couldn’t quite find a way to take the lead. Each time it seemed as though U-M would surge in front, MSU would clamp down and re-extend its lead.

Finally, Michigan battled its way back in front with just over five minutes left in the game. The lead swayed back and forth in the last minutes. Ultimately, the Wolverines hit some dagger three-pointers and outlasted the visitors to secure the victory.

Based on original reporting by Hannah Woehrle, Wajeeha Kamal and Alex Faber.