Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy with snow showers developing in the afternoon with a high of 30 degrees and a low of 22 degrees. For the weekend, it looks like it will be higher 20’s with both Saturday and Sunday cloudy with snow showers.

CAPS receives an influx of MSU students amid ‘holiday aftermath’

As the spring semester begins, students are adjusting to the life changes and course stress of being on campus again. Unfortunately, countless factors bring distress to students during this time of year.

Counseling and Psychiatric Services, or CAPS, strives to provide students with mental health services to optimize their physical and mental well-being in light of the challenges this semester can bring. The center can be found on Michigan State University’s campus on the third floor of the Olin Health Center.

Licensed psychologist and CAPS Director Mark Patishnock said students tend to feel overwhelmed this time of year, reporting significant levels of stress, anxiety, depression and isolation. These responses were compounded by the years of the pandemic and the responsibilities students had, along with the tragedies and losses many students endured.

With an influx of students, challenges arise for CAPS. The office handles these challenges by prioritizing specific services.

CAPS holds a diverse staff, letting students select preferences for the race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and religion of their counselor to allow maximum comfort.

CAPS also provides students with resources to connect with off-campus therapeutic or psychiatric care in their area.

Students can find more information at caps.msu.edu.

What’s the strategy behind MSU’s dining hall operation?

Death, taxes, and MSU dining halls being busy at all hours — three things that are guaranteed to occur. Though the operation can get hectic, the dining experience on campus is a dependable option for students.

Meeting the demand of tens of thousands of students, staff and visitors across the university requires preparation.

The variation of food items allows the dining halls to serve base foods such as cheeseburgers or chicken patties daily, while certain meals are set to be distributed at other dining stations that change constantly.

In terms of preparation, the menus become final months in advance. Senior Chef Executive Kurt Kwiatkowski said the fall semester menus are written by the end of April or early May to be uploaded in the dining hall system before move-in. Spring semester menus are planned around the second week in August.

Kwiatkowski said guest feedback and items of certain equipment are the main factors that help decide what specific foods are served daily and what runs on the cycle.

Students agree that variation in menus is helpful for a positive dining experience.

Kwiatkowski encourages students to share feedback so MSU’s dining experience can be improved.

CTRL+A celebrates diversity, expresses APIDA experiences through dance

With stories, experiences, and expressions showcased through dance, CTRL+A strives to celebrate diversity and expresses Asian Pacific Islander Desi American experiences while advocating for the APIDA community at Michigan State University.

CTRL+A marketing chair Jeneia Dinglasan said CTRL+A assisted her in creating an expressional outlet for her identity that she previously didn’t have before coming to college.

CTRL+A holds monthly workshops open to all. Along with monthly workshops, students can catch CTRL+A performing at APASO’S Annual Cultural Vogue tomorrow. The event starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Wharton Center.

There’s also an event to celebrate CTRL+A’s fifth anniversary.

The event will take place on April 15 at The Cadillac Room in Lansing, Michigan. The celebration will bring together past alumni, current members, and supporters all together to enjoy performances, food, and the growth of the group throughout the years.

Based on original reporting by Julius Patto and Jacob Smith.

To end our last episode of the week, here are a few announcements!

Here is the MSU home athletic line-up for the weekend…

Tonight

• Wrestling will take on Maryland at 6:30 P.M. at Jenison Field House.