Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy skies early then partly cloudy in the afternoon with a high of 34 degrees and a low of 28 degrees.

Wells Hall Starbucks to move to MSU Library

There are not many commodities that college students enjoy more than coffee.

MSU supplies its students with multiple branded restaurants across campus, including two Starbucks locations. Each coffee shop has snaking lines at almost all hours of operation, making it seemingly impossible to ever receive express service.

Although students like the business, the jam-packed pathways at the Wells Hall location make it difficult to navigate to and from class, with many rooms exceeding capacities of over five hundred people. The decided solution for this issue is to move the location to the MSU Library.

The idea is to close the Wells Hall Starbucks and the Sparty’s in the library and start the renovation. The Starbucks will hopefully be opened right before next fall semester.

Survey shows decrease in undergraduate sexual harassment, assault at MSU

Results from the second-ever Know More Survey show a decline in rates of sexual harassment, sexual assault, workplace incivility and/or other harm experienced by members of the campus community since 2019.

The survey was introduced in 2019 as a way to assess perceptions, policies and culture surrounding relationship violence and sexual misconduct, or RVSM, on campus. The second iteration of the survey was sent to all undergraduate students, graduate and professional students, faculty and staff in the spring of 2022.

More than 11,500 surveys were completed and analyzed. In an email releasing the survey results to the MSU community, interim president Teresa Woodruff thanked Spartans for “working together to foster an environment that is more respectful to each other and is supportive of survivors.”

Data is categorized into three gender identity groups based on self-reported identities: cisgender woman, cisgender man, and transgender and/or nonbinary. Transgender and nonbinary respondents were grouped together “in an effort to create groups with enough respondents to enable analysis,” the report said.

Sexual harassment was the most prevalent form of victimization experienced by students across all gender groups and was less common for graduate and professional students, though it was still the highest-reported form of victimization.

The survey also asked all students, faculty and staff about their perceptions of campus culture, both related to sexual misconduct and other aspects.

Survey data shows that cisgender men undergraduates, faculty and staff indicated the most positive perceptions across all climate scales, while cisgender women students and transgender/nonbinary students gave the most negative perceptions.

Comparisons to the 2019 results are “somewhat imperfect,” due to the fact that gender identity information was collected differently in 2022.

More information on the results of the survey can be found on The State News website.

FINAL: Second half collapse dooms Michigan State in 82-69 loss to Indiana

Despite a hot start, a second half collapse doomed Michigan State in a 82-69 road loss to Indiana.

Graduate student forward Joey Hauser scored a team-high 22 points for the Spartans, also earning six rebounds and an assist.

Glancing at the stat sheet, it seemed as though things weren’t quite as imbalanced as the score indicated. MSU shot 43% from the field, Indiana shot 47%. MSU had 30 rebounds, Indiana had 32. MSU had 10 turnovers, Indiana had nine.

However, the key difference was three-point shooting percentage. Indiana killed Michigan State from deep. The Hoosiers made nine threes, shooting 60% from beyond the arch by the end of the game.

Slow starts have plagued the Spartans of late. However, MSU finally kicked things off with confidence, jumping to as much as a nine-point lead and controlling things for a good chunk of the half. The Spartans were solid on both sides of the court, locking down on defense and churning out quality offensive possessions.

However, around the halfway point of the first, Indiana’s offense caught fire. After his cold start, IU’s senior forward Jackson-Davis came in with 13 points to end the half, and the IU guards started draining threes.

Besides a couple of nice baskets from senior guard Tyson Walker, MSU’s offense started to stall out and Indiana’s stars finally started showing up, taking firm control of the game.

Michigan State’s offense found its legs again in the second half. Walker and sophomore guard Jaden Akins combined for a quick nine points and MSU knotted things up at 42. Akins was one of the few Spartans that actually found consistent buckets throughout the second half, finishing with 12 points and a rebound.

Indiana eventually built a lead to double-digits and never looked back. After taking a brief 51-49 lead in the second, MSU was outscored 31-18 to end the game. Every Michigan State bucket was answered by Indiana.

The Spartans will look to bounce back from the loss when they return home Thursday to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes at the Breslin Center.

Based on original reporting by Jacob Smith, Vivian Barrett and Alex Faber.