Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy with possible rain showers in the evening which will evolve into a more steady rain overnight with a high of 54 degrees and a low of 34 degrees.

Michigan State fined $100k by Big Ten for Michigan Stadium tunnel incident

The Big Ten Conference has officially reviewed the postgame tunnel incident that took place in Michigan Stadium following the Michigan-Michigan State game on Oct. 29.

Following its review, the conference has determined that seven Michigan State players were at fault.

Michigan State will be fined $100,000 for the incident and redshirt sophomore cornerback Khary Crump, who was charged with felonious assault by the Washtenaw County Prosecutor earlier this week, will be suspended for the first eight games of the 2023 season.

Freshman cornerback Malcolm Jones was reinstated from suspension earlier this week after being the only suspended player not charged. The Big Ten’s investigation also revealed that one additional MSU student-athlete, believed to be Jones, “was involved in the incident, but it is inconclusive as to whether he actively participated in the physical altercation.”

Michigan State Athletics announced that the other six suspended players will be reinstated immediately.

The Big Ten also concluded that U-M did not follow proper postgame policies and issued a public reprimand.

Their findings also revealed that “a Michigan State University football staff member was involved in a separate sportsmanship matter, which was in violation of the Big Ten Conference Sportsmanship Policy,” but the matter was handled sufficiently by MSU.

Going home for break told by the out-of-state students at MSU

The university’s official fall break was on Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday, which allowed little time for out-of-state students to travel back home.

The Fall 2022 Enrollment Report says out-of-state students make up 22.7% of the total undergraduate enrollment.

Traveling to the airport on a bus and being required to arrive at the airport two hours ahead of departure becomes a day-long transportation ride, nursing sophomore Abby Fogerty said. She had an exam on Wednesday afternoon and a flight right after.

“My exam was supposed to be like three o’clock on Wednesday, and my flight most likely would have gotten delayed or canceled. So I just was not even going to go home,” Fogerty said.

However, some professors were more flexible during Thanksgiving week whether classes were held on Zoom or asynchronously.

“I think teachers are more lenient over Thanksgiving just because they want to spend time with their family too,” elementary education sophomore Katlyn SaLoutos said.

MSU organizations team up to provide fresh produce for international families

The MSU Student Organic Farm has provided over 2,000 pounds of fresh produce to food-insecure international families through the Student Parent Resource Center this month.

Student Organic Farm interim director Laurie Thorp said they were able to connect with and give to families in need by partnering with MSU’s RISE program and University Village Apartments – making the initiative a collaborative effort between four MSU entities.

Last week, as Thanksgiving approached, student organizers distributed proteins for the first time. Thanks to over $800 in donations, they were able to provide 53 families with eggs, tofu and chickens.

To solicit donations and make the holiday protein push possible, organizers advertised the effort on social media and directly asked for donations from RISE program alumni.

Based on original reporting by Jenna Malinowski, Maddie Dallas and Alex Walters.