MSU volleyball travels to Michigan with hopes to end eight-match losing streak

MSU volleyball head coach Leah Johnson talks with her team before practice on Feb. 25, 2022/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Faith Flickinger, Volleyball Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING– Michigan State volleyball is preparing to play its rival Michigan on the road. The Spartans are 1-9 in Big Ten play and are seeking to end their eight-match losing streak. 

Michigan has lost three straight matches as the second half of conference play is underway. The Wolverines are 4-6 in conference play.

MSU is on the lookout for Michigan’s strong hitters. Junior outside hitter Jess Mruizik leads the Wolverines with 3.64 kills per set on .234 hitting and ranks seventh in the Big Ten. Senior middle blocker Jess Robinson is hitting a division one-leading .480 and averaging 2.42 kills per set. 

For the Spartans, sophomore outside hitter Aliyah Moore leads the team with 3.01 points per set and 2.80 kills per set. Rising player freshman outside hitter Selin Asalyn has started for the last four matches and is averaging 2.06 kills per set. 

MSU is 15-27 when playing in Ann Arbor. The last time MSU won a match on the road against Michigan was in 2013.

The Spartans  play the Wolverines today at 2:00 p.m.