Today’s weather forecast is predicting rain showers in the morning which will evolve into a more steady rain in the afternoon with a possibility of thunder and a high of 68 degrees and a low of 46 degrees.

MSU gets an eviction notice: NAISO marches on Indigenous People’s Day for institutional awareness

“MSU, rent is due.”

These were the words shouted by members of the North American Indigenous Students Organization, or NAISO, outside of the Hannah Administration Building on Monday, Oct. 10, Indigenous People’s Day.

NAISO and other indigenous students and faculty marched to celebrate their resilience against all odds, including their university being founded on what they call a “land grab.”

On the 25th anniversary of NAISO’s sit-in at the university president’s office, the group yet again rallied their supporters. They sported signs that spelled out their passion with phrases like “Columbus, your visa expired,” “you’re on stolen land” and “colonial hands off Indigenous lands.”

This idea of being unseen in the MSU community was a recurring theme at the march, with participants wanting to be heard.

Indigenous students spent their day demanding the attention their ancestors did not receive, and protesting the type of treatment that they do receive.

“In essence, we just need more support,” co-chair of NAISO and social work senior Roxy Sprowl said. “We need people to actually listen to our voices and value our voices.”

Looking for brunch? Check out these East Lansing-area spots

The East Lansing area has such a large variety of brunch options that choosing a place to eat can become overwhelming. Michigan State University students in the dorms may be looking for something within walking distance to campus, whereas older students with cars might be looking to venture off the beaten path for something new.

First, People’s Kitchen was previously open for brunch just two days a week, but due to popular demand, the Lansing establishment announced on Oct. 6 that they would be extending brunch service to five days a week.

People’s Kitchen’s diverse brunch menu takes some traditional breakfast food and puts a unique twist on them giving you all the comfort of a familiar brunch with enticing new flavors and combinations. In addition to the different dishes, the restaurant also has a wide variety of brunch cocktails and spiked coffee beverages.

People’s Kitchen is located at 2722 E. Michigan Ave. in Lansing, and is open for brunch Wednesday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Next, Located just steps away from campus, For Crepe’s Sake in downtown East Lansing has quickly become a hot brunch spot.

This French-inspired crepe restaurant offerers both sweet and savory crepes for their patrons, as well as Belgian waffle options if crepes aren’t for you.

For Crepe’s Sake is located at 211 M.A.C. Ave. in East Lansing and is open Tuesday through Sunday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Finally, Anna’s House is a retro-50’s diner located in Okemos and offers a fun environment to go along with its classic American breakfast options.

This family-owned eatery has been a West Michigan staple since 2002, and now has nine locations across the state.

The current CEO of the chain has dietary restrictions, and because of that, Anna’s House has a large menu that includes many different options for their vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free customers.

Anna’s House is located at 1753 W. Grand River Rd. in Okemos and is open seven days a week, 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.

For more brunch spots, visit The State News article.

Spartans bring the magic: Meet the 2022 homecoming court

Every year, 10 to 12 students are selected to represent MSU as members of the homecoming court. These students are selected based on a number of qualities including leadership abilities, school spirit, integrity and their contribution and involvement on campus.

The MSU alumni office said being selected to represent MSU as a member of the homecoming court is considered “one of the highest honors for seniors.”

Here are the 12 students who have been selected this year.

First, microbiology senior Madeleine Russell is from Marshall, Michigan.

Next, criminal justice senior Leeslie Herrera is from Mission, Texas.

Third up is, criminal justice and political science senior Harnoor Kaur is from Chandigarh, India.

Following is public policy senior Zachary Crawford who is from West Bloomfield, Michigan.

Fifth, social relations and policy senior Jo Kovach is from Riverview, Michigan.

Then, Ellie Baden is a senior from Buffalo Grove, Illinois with three majors: political theory and constitutional democracy, social relations and policy and interdisciplinary humanities.

Continuing, neuroscience and human biology senior Harsna Chahal comes from Okemos, Michigan.

Next, accounting senior Marissa Burk is from Naperville, Illinois.

Following, senior Ishaan Modi is from Fishers, Indiana, double majoring in social relations and policy and history, philosophy, and sociology of science.

Continuing, animal science senior McKenna Adams is from Saginaw, Michigan.

Then, senior Jade Elder is from Wayne, Michigan double majoring in communication and interdisciplinary studies of social science.

Finally, psychology and data science senior Erin Sawyer is from Farmington Hills, Michigan.

Visit The State News article for each court member’s short bio.

Based on original reporting by Liz Nass, Bella Johnson and Noah Edgar.