Hope everyone made it through our huge thunderstorm Tuesday night and yesterday morning, but here comes our fall weather starting with today’s weather forecast predicting partly cloudy skies with a high of 59 degrees and a low of 38 degrees.

94 distinguished professors support Stanley

Since news broke on Sept. 11 that MSU President Samuel L. Stanley Jr.’s contract is under discussion with the Board of Trustees, faculty and students continue to speak out in support of Stanley.

Ninety-four highly ranked MSU professors released a letter Monday condemning the board’s actions and supporting the president. The letter said they expect the board to act in the best interest of MSU.

The letter stated the professors’ gratitude towards Stanley for improving campus culture to be a “safer and more productive space,” specifically noting his leadership throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Also, The professors expressed support for Stanley to continue in his role as president.

“We strongly support the consistent actions President Stanley has taken since arriving at MSU to protect the health and safety of all members of the MSU community,” the letter said. “We look forward to President Stanley’s continued leadership of MSU. Thank you.”

Several MSU organizations, including ASMSU, the Black Faculty, Staff and Administration Association, the Coalition of Racial and Ethnic Minorities, and the Faculty Senate, have released statements demanding transparency from the board of trustees.

The Faculty Senate passed a resolution on Sept. 13 discouraging the Board from making any decision regarding Stanley’s contract before more information is given to the community. ASMSU’s statement demanded the board include students in any decision making related to the issue.

Frat house shuffle: 5 MSU fraternities find new location this year

Five of Michigan State University’s 28 Interfraternity Council chapters have relocated to a new house this fall.

With fraternity and sorority rush taking place from Sept. 19 to Sept. 23, these five fraternities are opening their new doors to groups of new prospects.

First, after a string of relocations, Beta Theta Pi is now located on Harrison Road, at the previous Sigma Pi house. This is Beta’s third house in three academic years.

Next, Sigma Alpha Mu, sometimes referred to as “Sammy”, has relocated to Grove Street from their previous house on Sunset Lane, where they moved to in 2020.

Following, Sigma Pi, also know as Sig Pi, is now located on Grand River Avenue, in a newly built fraternity house.

Currently one of the largest chapters on campus, the members of Sig Pi were able to move into their new house just before rush began.

The fourth on our list, Tau Kappa Epsilon, previously located on Michigan Avenue, is relocated to a house on Abbot Road.

Their new house –previously home to Theta Delta Chi before their move to Bogue Street last fall– has larger common areas for the growing chapter functions, said TKE president Jacob Stinson.

“When we heard that our new house on Abbott Road went on the market, kind of unexpectedly, we kind of we jumped on it the first chance we got,” Stinson said.

Finally, Zeta Psi fraternity has relocated to M.A.C Avenue this year from their house on Grove Street, which they moved to in 2020.

The MSU Zeta Psi chapter was established in 2015, making them one of the youngest chapters on campus.

Visit msuifc.com for more information on Michigan State’s Interfraternity Council chapters.

‘You will never not be able to work out’: Exploring East Lansing gym options

Searching for a gym that works for you in the East Lansing area can be tough, as there are plenty of options to choose from.

If you are someone who is looking for that perfect gym, don’t worry – The State News has narrowed down some popular places for you to consider.

First, we have the IMs. If you are on campus and looking for something convenient, IM West and East are great options.

IM West is located right across from Spartan Stadium, right where the South and North neighborhoods meet. On weekdays, it is open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., while on weekends it is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

IM West also offers group exercise classes, such as spin and yoga classes that are included in the membership that comes with your tuition. These are free for students if you show your student ID.

IM East also ideal for students on campus who prefer working out later in the evening, as East is open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. on weekdays, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturdays and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays.

The facility offers a gym, basketball courts, an indoor running track as well as outdoor fields and courts.

Looking outside of campus, there are also plenty of decent options to choose from, starting with Crunch Fitness, which is located on Grand River Avenue about a mile away from campus.

The gym offers a variety of equipment besides the standard treadmills and dumbbells. They have punching bags, battle ropes, tires and a ride studio with over 30 Schwinn bikes. It has a full service locker room equipped with a dry sauna and spa.

Finally, Powerhouse is located just outside of East neighborhood on Hagadorn Road. This gym has the unique trait of being open 24/7.

According to its website, Powerhouse offers the largest free weight dumbbell area in East Lansing, as well as lots of cardio equipment and spin and group classes.

With these options to choose from, there is a good chance that you will find a gym in the area that is right for you.

Based on original reporting by Vivian Barrett, Wendy Guzman, and Nick Lundberg.