Second Stage at MSU puts on an all-new original production: Abandon “All Hope, Ye Who Enter”

With final shows of the academic year approaching, Second Stage is releasing an original play written by theater students looking for their first big break.

Abandon “All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here” will be running at Studio 60 on April 15 at 7:30 p.m. and April 16 at 1:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.

The visionary behind the new piece and theater senior Cole Dzubak began conceptualizing the story all the way back in October 2019, writing in between rehearsals when acting was his main priority.

He had a vision for a new vignette show with 32 characters played by 12 actors.This is Dzubak’s first full-length production he is putting on the main stage.

Theatre sophomore and actor 7 Joie Culligan is performing as a first-time actor in a play.

Her favorite is being able to experience the show more up close and personal since it is led by her and her peers alone, making for a refreshing experience. She also owes a lot of the show’s substance to the message she believes it surrounds.

3 takeaways from MSU football’s final open spring practice

Michigan State fans got their first glimpse at the prospective football roster Saturday afternoon during the Spartans’ open practice inside Spartan Stadium.

MSU football ran a normal practice with both position drills and full-team live drills with the offense going against the defense with somewhere between 10 to 20 thousand fans in attendance.

MSU opted to not have a traditional spring game this year because the team has serious attrition at the offensive line and only had eight available to play today.

The structure of the spring event along with frigid winds produced a more subdued atmosphere, but fans and the dozens of high-profile recruits in attendance still got a first-hand account of Michigan State Head Coach Mel Tucker’s well-oiled football machine and how it operates.

It also allowed many of the new faces that have joined the team to get their debut in the green and white with fans in attendance.

Freshmen made their first public appearances collegiately and transfers like Ameer Speed and Jalen Berger displayed their talents to a whole new fanbase.

Black Students’ Alliance hopes to build community following release of Lyoya footage

The MSU Black Students’ Alliance, or BSA, responded to the release of video footage of Patrick Lyoya’s death.

BSA’s outgoing president Kenneth Franklin published a statement on the Instagram page. BSA will also hold a vigil on Tuesday, April 19 at 8:30 p.m. at The Rock on Farm Lane to honor Lyoya.

Franklin noted the support from administrators, specifically President Samuel L. Stanley Jr.’s letter to the MSU community.

Franklin said BSA’s role in hosting events like Tuesday’s vigil is to inform the MSU community and provide a safe space.

As outgoing president, he hopes BSA continues to pursue this mission in the coming years.

Based on original reporting by Liz Nass, Jared Ramsey and Morgan Womack. Script by Shakyra Mabone.