MSU guard Jack Hoiberg enters the transfer portal

Sean Mullen, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING — Less than a week after Michigan State lost to UCLA in the NCAA tournament, guard Jack Hoiberg has entered the transfer portal.

Hoiberg appeared in 15 games this season for the Spartans, averaging 0.5 points per game and three minutes played per game. Over his career, he appeared in 42 games, scored 36 points, and started against Nebraska in February of 2020.

He scored four points and dished out a career-high six assists against Western Michigan in 13 minutes of action on Dec. 29, 2020, also a career-high.  

Hoiberg joined Michigan State in the 2017-18 season as a walk-on player. However, prior to the 2020-21 campaign, head coach Tom Izzo awarded him a scholarship position.  He played high school basketball at Hinsdale Center High School (Hinsdale, Illinois) and averaged 14.8 points a game as a senior. 

Since Hoiberg was a redshirt junior this season, he will still have two years of eligibility remaining due to the COVID-19 eligibility exception that the NCAA gave to all players. He is also the first Spartan to enter the transfer portal this offseason and the second since the transfer portal was created; current Central Michigan center Braden Burke previously played for MSU before transferring to CMU on Aug. 4, 2020.