Lacie Hudson, Case deKoning

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Specialty Crop Research Initiative has awarded $7.1 million to the Cucurbit Coordinated Agricultural Project, a nationwide research and outreach initiative lead by Michigan State University.

The research is focused on the cucurbit crop family comprised of cucumbers, squashes, melons and watermelon.

The project objectives are to develop genomic approaches and tools for cucurbit species and perform economic impact analyses of cost of production and disease control.

With less than 2,000 students living on campus, the Kellogg Center is the only place for Michigan State students living on campus to quarantine.

In mid-July, the university announced that Akers hall would serve as isolation housing for students who are required to quarantine or self-isolate, but that plan has since changed.

Before MSU announced that the Fall semester would be held entirely online, Akers hall was going to allow students that test positive to have their own bathrooms and rooms, along with Spartan Village and the Kellogg Center.

Now self-isolation will only be at the Kellogg Center.

Hours after Gov. Gretchen Whitmer responded to a plot to kidnap her by Michigan domestic terrorists, supporters made their way to the Michigan State Capitol to stand in solidarity with her.

The group, no more than a few dozen, trickled onto the Capitol’s porch with letters and signs. Their signs were reminiscent of Whitmer’s run for governor and the letters spelled a familiar nickname.

In big-picketed wooden letters, “Big Gretch” was stuck into the Capitol lawn.

Whitmer responded to the threats in a live stream Thursday, thanking the law enforcement, FBI agents and Michigan State Police troopers who uncovered the plot under the leadership of Col. Joseph Gasper.