Michigan State holds on to beat Minnesota, 76-65

MSU graduate guard Moira Joiner fires a jump shot against Minnesota on Monday, Feb. 5, 2024 at the Breslin Center.

EAST LANSING– “It was a tale of two halves,” said Michigan State head coach Robyn Fralick on the 76-65 win over Minnesota.

Michigan State women’s basketball came into the matchup on a three-game win streak, with their last loss coming at the hands of Minnesota, when the Golden Gophers beat the Spartans 69-50 in Minneapolis on Jan. 20. That game was a learning experience for the Spartans, and they reset their focus in this game.

“That game helped us zoom in on us and get back to things we need to do better,” Fralick said.

MSU was hot from three-point range in the first half, shooting 50 percent on 18 attempts, With the first 12 points of the game for the Spartans coming from the perimeter.

A 14-4 Michigan State run in the first quarter propelled them to a six-point lead after 10 minutes of play.

In the second quarter, the Spartans extended their lead, outscoring Minnesota 27-10. Graduate student Julia Ayrault led the way in the second quarter, scoring 9 points on two made three-point field goals.

MSU graduate guard Julia Ayrault takes a jump shot against Minnesota on Monday, Feb. 5, 2024 at the Breslin Center.

After being down 23 points at halftime, Minnesota answered with a 9-0 run in the first three minutes of the second half to cut the Spartans lead to 14.

Minnesota’s fast start forced MSU to call a timeout, but thanks to a 6-0 scoring run, the Golden Gophers comeback was halted.

Minnesota held the Spartans scoreless from three-point range in the third quarter on eight attempts. Sophomore guard Theyrn Hallock was able to connect on two three-pointers in the fourth quarter that would help the Spartans regain momentum.

“I knew we had to get good shots so I kept on moving and spacing the floor the way we should and I saw the corner was open a couple of times so I had to take it,” Hallock said.

In the fourth quarter, the Golden Gophers cut the deficit to single digits with help from graduate student Janay Sanders, who led the game with 23 points.

Graduate student Mo Joiner hit a three-pointer to seal the game for the Spartans. She finished the game with a team-high 21 points.

The Spartans improved to 11-1 at home and are now 4th in the Big Ten with a 7-5 record.

MSU junior guard DeeDee Hagemann attempts a free throw against Minnesota on Monday, Feb. 5, 2024 at the Breslin Center.

Michigan State will travel to Bloomington to take on No. 14 Indiana on Thursday at 7 p.m.