2024 NFL Draft Full Team Grades: Teams 17-32
Jack David, NFL Beat Reporter • April 28, 2024

A Colorful Collab | “Lego Ring” by Faye Webster (feat. Lil Yachty)

Jan. 4 started out as a normal day. I went about the day doing my typical routines while stressing out about the next semester. I opened Instagram to check on my friends and the state of the world, as one does. On my scroll, I encountered a post made by Faye Webster, but this wasn’t just any normal post. The post was a singular image of Webster with… Lil Yachty? The caption simply said, “putting out a new song next week.” 

My jaw dropped. These were my two worlds colliding: the crossover of the century, perhaps. I, along with others, found this collaboration to be completely out of left field. After all, Webster is an indie songwriter superstar, whereas Lil Yachty is a famed rapper who recently became an experimental rock legend with his project Let’s Start Here. However, it really isn’t a surprise that this collaboration came to fruition. Both artists were raised in Atlanta, Georgia and went to the same middle school, where they were close friends. This goes to show what a small world this really is. 

On Jan. 11, Webster released “Lego Ring” along with two other songs for her upcoming album, Underdressed at the Symphony. The track itself is a fun listen from beginning to end, with straightforward lyrics that exude a playful tone. It begins with a bang and jumps directly into Webster’s first verse, which explains her desire for a ring made of Legos.

I want a Lego ring /

I want it to hurt my finger /

I want a Lego ring /

I want it crystal clear.

After the first verse, the tempo slows down and the song enters a breakdown. This is where Lil Yachty makes his first appearance, harmonizing with Webster using a cool electronic-sounding voice with an intense vibrato effect. A refrain appears in all the slower portions of the song, consisting of three lines, repeating twice in each breakdown.

I, I know what I like /

I know what I want /

But you know I kinda need.

After the first breakdown, the song jumps back into its initial tempo, with Webster and Lil Yachty singing about the desire for this Lego ring. Lil Yachty provides a few adlibs and backing vocals in this section. The song then goes back into the refrain for a bit, similar to the first one. The outro, which is my favorite part, goes back to the upbeat instrumental. Lil Yachty has his own verse where he closes out the song in a cute, full circle way.

“Me and you the dream team /

Always together like string beans /

Your left hand up in every pic /

‘Cause your Lego ring is sick.

Webster got her Lego ring! Hip hip hurray! “Lego Ring” is an enjoyable song that showcases the artistry between two creative geniuses. It’s a breath of fresh air, proving that vastly different artists can work together and create a song which reflects their own personal styles yet blends seamlessly.

Just when I thought this collaboration couldn’t be any better, Faye Webster released a Guitar Hero-esque game titled Singsongorama, where players can play the game featured in the music video for “Lego Ring.” I did not earn a perfect score, but hey, there’s always room for improvement.

This track feels like a summer breeze and a frolic through a field, which is very much needed during this time of negative degree wind chills and dirty slush on the sidewalks. If you yearn for the happiness of the sun, I highly recommend listening to this track and playing the game that accompanies it. Maybe you can beat my score of 7,730.