MSU manager Jake Boss walks to the dugout before the Spartans take on Notre Dame on April 26, 2022/ Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM
MSU baseball prepares for rivalry weekend versus Michigan
Kyle Keegan, General Assignment Reporter • May 3, 2024

Do you want to become a fish? | “Chaos Party” by Briston Maroney

The long-haired indie icon Briston Maroney released a new album on Sept. 22 named Ultrapure. Standing out among 13 tracks, “Chaos Party” skyrocketed to his second most listened to song within eight days, surpassing loved tracks such as “June” and “Small Talk.” With such quick success, the song reels viewers to the entire album. 

“Chaos Party” is reminiscent of a summer afternoon spent driving with the windows down. The soft, higher-pitched tone of Maroney’s voice is consistent in this song, featuring higher notes than most of his other songs, creating summer nostalgia even as fall approaches. 

Comparable to “Chaos” included in the song title, Maroney achieves a harmony of indie pop and his own unique sound. The microphone Maroney uses in this song sounds almost like a high school intercom, creating more of a unique draw from other indie artists. His voice pulls at the listener’s heart, sounding almost sad based on the pitch of his voice, connecting even more to the audience. 

The song’s lyrics are repetitive and amplified with an increased presence of drums. His voice and his band go well together, complimenting each other with enough unison and perfection that the listener must do nothing but dance and sing along. 

Beyond Maroney’s lyrical presentation of escapism and freedom, the music video for “Chaos Party” puts a new perspective onto the song. In the video, Maroney wants to become a fish, going through experiments in attempts to become one. After submerging himself in water, he achieves his fish form, and from there has experiences as a fish, such as skateboarding. 

This music video explains the name “Chaos Party” more than its own lyrics, as Maroney and two other fish-people dance on the beach to the chorus. 

This music video and song are a blend of Maroney’s fun personality and the addictiveness of his soft, youthful voice. With the journey this song takes you on, perhaps you can become a fish too.