Today’s weather forecast is predicting cloudy skies with a high of 35 degrees and a low of 22 degrees. For the weekend, it looks like it will be mid to high 40’s and sunny.

New East Lansing Council member Noel Garcia Jr. details his priorities for nine-month term

Noel Garcia Jr., a former DeWitt Township resident, fell in love with East Lansing after enrolling his twin boys in Red Cedar Elementary School.

The city had exactly what Garcia’s family yearned for — diversity. Garcia and his boys have been in the city for over a decade now.

Last month, Garcia was appointed to East Lansing City Council, making him the first Latino to hold such a position.

Garcia, in a 4-0 vote, was chosen by the East Lansing City Council to serve the council’s vacancy following the resignation of Lisa Babcock, who was elected to be a judge. He will complete Babcock’s term that ends this upcoming November.

However, Garcia hopes the seat is not just a temporary gig, as he plans to run for reelection after the term ends.

Garcia began his career in law enforcement as one of the few officers of Hispanic descent at the Lansing Police Department. Wanting a change, Garcia approached then-Capt. Mike Dawson, who was in charge of human resources, where Garcia had then been put on a recruiting team and made the first full-time recruiting officer at the department.

Following allegations from seven Black officers facing disparate treatment by the department’s disciplinary process, Garcia partnered with Terry Curry, Michigan State University professor and present-day associate provost, in changing the department’s disciplinary policies.

Garcia is an Ingham Intermediate School District Wilson Talent Center law enforcement instructor with a bachelor’s and master’s degree in criminal justice from Michigan State University. He also used to be a former adjunct professor at MSU.

With his background and new role, Garcia hopes to improve residents’ relationships with the East Lansing Police Department.

Suzy Merchant releases statement following medical episode

Michigan State Head Women’s Basketball Coach Suzy Merchant was involved in a minor one-vehicle accident last Saturday morning caused by a health incident that prevented her from traveling with the team for their game against Illinois on Sunday.

On Monday morning, the team announced that Merchant was released from Sparrow Hospital and is currently at home resting.

Merchant released her first statement Tuesday night since the accident thanking everyone for their support and well wishes in the statement and said she is continuing to focus on her health and taking the time necessary to get back to 100%.

It is unclear when Merchant will return to her position as head coach, but Associate Head Coach Dean Lockwood has assumed the interim position in her absence.

MSU students debate who they think will win The Super Bowl

With the weekend approaching, it means it’s time to frantically come up with an excuse to support one of the teams participating in The Super Bowl because unfortunately, our favorite team didn’t make it.

The Super Bowl is America’s most popular sporting event year after year. Millions gather to watch the two best teams in The National Football League duke it out to claim perhaps the most prestigious honor in American sports. The winning franchise is praised for the next calendar year as fans rejoice by following their success all season.

Most football fans will enjoy the high intensity of the game by watching the best in the business go head-to-head. Other watchers will pay attention to the marketing details, such as the special commercials and prominent halftime shows.

Students at Michigan State University are thrilled to watch the highly anticipated matchup between The Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles — even if they have different ideas of who might win.

Kinesiology freshman Rebecca Seely watched the Kansas City Chiefs’ game before they advanced to the Super Bowl, and she wasn’t impressed.

“They didn’t do very well I think personally, so I’m betting on the Eagles,” Seely said.

Construction management freshman Griffin O’Brien is excited to watch the big game but is paying attention to the way the contest is trending.

“I think the Chiefs are going to win,” O’Brien said. “I think they have the better defense – I think both offenses compare, they’re very similar, except the Chiefs have the better defense so they’ll be able to shut down the Eagles.”

In terms of rooting for a team to come out victorious, some students don’t like either of the teams — as rivalries are certainly no joke.

James Madison freshman Benjamin Stewart said, “I’m rooting for the Eagles right now because I’m not a big Chiefs fan and I’m a Broncos fan,”

Super Bowl 57 will take place this Sunday at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.

Based on original reporting by Wajeeha Kamal, Bella Johnson and Jacob Smith.

To end our last episode of the week, here are a few announcements!

Here is the MSU home athletic line-up for the weekend.

Today

• MSU Wrestling will take on Indiana at 6:30PM at Jenison Field House.
  • Hockey will end out the night against Michigan at 7PM at Munn Ice Arena.

Sunday

• Women’s Tennis will play Marquette at 11AM at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility.
  • Women’s Basketball will take on Penn State at 3PM right here at the Breslin Center.