Today’s weather forecast is predicting partly cloudy skies with a high of 46 degrees and a low of 31 degrees. For the rest of the week, it looks like it will mid to high 40’s with sun for the most part and possible rain Sunday morning.

MSU hockey’s Jagger Joshua victim of verbal racial attack during Ohio State series

Michigan State hockey senior forward Jagger Joshua released a statement on social media Monday evening stating he was called racial slurs “multiple times” by an Ohio State player during a game between the two teams at Munn Ice Arena on Nov. 11.

In his statement, Joshua said a referee overheard the words and assessed a game misconduct penalty. OSU senior forward Kamil Sadlocha received the only 10-minute major of the game at the 10:39 mark of the second period.

Joshua also said an investigation was conducted by the Big Ten in the days following the incident but no further action was taken by the conference or Ohio State. Sadlocha played in the subsequent series last weekend versus Notre Dame.

MSU athletic director Alan Haller and hockey Head Coach Adam Nightingale both released statements shortly after Joshua expressing their support.

“Michigan State athletics stands with Jagger Joshua and commends him for having the courage to speak up against racial injustice. As a department, we are committed to providing opportunities for all student-athletes to compete in a space free from discrimination, racism or hate,” Haller said in an MSU athletics statement.

The State News contacted the Ohio State athletic department and received a statement regarding the incident.

“The Ohio State Department of Athletics and the men’s hockey program worked collaboratively with the Big Ten Conference to come to a resolution in response to the allegation of misconduct toward the Big Ten sportsmanship policy,” Ohio State athletics said in the statement.

The conference has not imposed further disciplinary action.

Affordable artist housing project begins market survey for East Lansing campus

Artspace, a Minneapolis-based nonprofit arts organization that creates affordable living spaces for artists and their businesses, is looking to bring a campus to East Lansing.

In its second of six development steps, the project is beginning its art markets study to gauge the demand for arts and creative spaces in the area as well as site selection and design ideas.

According to East Lansing’s Artspace Feasibility Report, the six-month study will include three phases: survey preparation, data collection and analysis and reporting.

At an East Lansing Downtown Development Authority, DDA, meeting last Thursday the committee discussed the possibility of an additional $10,000 allocated to Artspace’s market survey.

The study’s anticipated cost was $35,000, which was approved by the East Lansing City Council on Nov. 15.

The next steps of the project include three predevelopment stages lasting an estimated 19 to 25 months or more; then a six to 10-month construction timeframe.

Determining the location of the project will be determined by the third step.

Valley Court Park, Evergreen Properties, the Bailey Lot, City Hall, Hannah Community Center and the Division Street Garage have been tagged as possible locations for the project.

Grab-and-Go Green: Students create reusable container program for dining halls

This fall, grab-and-go dining halls in Holden and Holmes Halls began offering reusable containers. Traditionally, to-go options are exclusively packaged in single-use plastic.

The program was created and designed by Michigan State University students. Social relations and policy sophomore Sydnie Burnstein, who helped create the program, said the idea was a simple solution to a problem they saw.

To access the sustainable containers, students order their food as they normally would on the MSU Transact app. Then, using the separate Fill it Forward app, students can link a reusable container to their order. When they pick up the food or return the container, they must scan a barcode on the container into the Fill It Forward app.

Burnstein said this complex two-app system is one of the areas she hopes to improve as the program grows. She said that when they first designed the system last year, they wanted all the steps to be in the MSU app, but that staffing shortages in the IT office stopped them from integrating the process.

So far, they’ve had over 1,000 uses, with about 90 students regularly using the program.

Burnstein said she hopes MSU will soon see a culture where students take responsibility for their carbon footprints.

Based on original reporting by Maddy Warren, Wendy Guzman and Alex Walters.

To end our last episode of the week, here are a few announcements!

• For your MSU athletic line-up, the only sport staying at home this week is volleyball, playing today against Rutgers at 6 P.M. at the Breslin Center. They will also end the week staying right here in East Lansing on Saturday going against Iowa at 2 P.M.
  • This will be the last episode of the week, due to Thanksgiving break happening Thursday and Friday.
  • Happy Thanksgiving!