Today’s weather forecast is predicting rain showers early with overcast skies later in the day and possibly snow mixing in with a high of 44 degrees and a low of 37 degrees.

On-campus voting officials available to Spartans until election day

The MSU Votes Initiative has set up a satellite voting office on campus where students, faculty and staff will be able to learn about the election, register to vote, receive absentee ballots and cast their ballots.

The voting office is available from now until Election Day on Nov. 8. Throughout the next few weeks, it will move to different areas on campus to ensure all students will have access to it.

The initiative aims to assist all Spartans in participating in the election process.

The voting offices were set up in partnership with the East Lansing City Clerk’s Office.

By coming in earlier, students will be able to review their absentee ballot and conduct research on the candidates prior to Election Day.

To register at the satellite office, people must bring a form of ID like a driver’s license. Also, people who plan to change where they are registered to East Lansing must show proof of residency. Visit the MSUVote website for more information.

Allen Community Health Center aims to service underserved communities

The Ingham County Health Department opened the new Allen Community Health Center to the public on Oct. 10 in a bid to add much-needed healthcare services to Lansing’s east side.

As a federally qualified health center, or FQHC, the center looks to ensure health equity by serving medically underserved populations and provides care regardless of insured status or ability to pay, Ingham County Health Officer Linda Vail said.

A 2020 ICHD annual report found that of the 19,960 total patients seen by Ingham community health centers, 2,103 of them were homeless. The new community health center aims to serve, in part, this underprivileged group, said Kris Drake, Executive Director for Ingham Community Health Centers.

The health center is placed within the already existing Allen Neighborhood Center, a growing hub for locals to engage in recreational activity. It features the Allen Farmers Market, a greenhouse and programs for youth and seniors.

Alongside the multi-use facility, there is mixed-income housing that aims to make community living accessible and affordable.

By providing many necessary resources in one location, there can be a shift in the culture to prioritize one’s personal health without having to leave their community.

Line of customers wraps around block for Raising Cane’s opening

Around 400 customers lined up for the opening of Michigan’s first Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers restaurant yesterday.

Raising Cane’s said they had around 25 customers stay overnight for the opening.

The opening included speeches from President of the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce Tim Daman and East Lansing Mayor Ron Bacon.

In his speech, Bacon thanked Michigan State University students for anchoring the event, as well as everyone involved in bringing the restaurant to East Lansing.

Before the ribbon cutting, 20 customers were drawn to receive free Raising Cane’s chicken for a year. The first 100 customers were also given a T-shirt.

Communications senior Sam Volk was the first customer to line up for the opening. He arrived at 3:45 p.m. on Monday.

Having tried Raising Cane’s before, he decided he wanted to be to first at the East Lansing location.

Volk said he was the only one in line for a few hours, with more customers joining him around 8 p.m. on Monday.

Human biology senior Ashley Jaglowski and kinesiology senior Emily Riddle lined up around 3 a.m., taking shifts throughout the night so the other could nap at home. They said they are looking forward to chicken and the late-night operation hours of the restaurant.

Cane’s presented a check for $1,000 to MSU Athletics, and said they look forward to continuing their relationship with the university.

The restaurant is open from 10 a.m. to 12 a.m., Sunday to Wednesday, and 10 a.m. to 2 a.m., Thursday through Saturday.

Based on original reporting by Amalia Medina, Maggie George and Wendy Guzman.