Today’s weather forecast is predicting another beautiful sunny day with a high of 80 and a low 55.

New MSU orthopedic surgeons hope to help students on and off the field

Dr. Toufic Jildeh and Dr. Micah Lissy have joined MSU Health Care’s Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Center as orthopedic surgeons and MSU Athletics as team physicians. Both Jildeh and Lissy have experience with athletes from around the country and hope to use their knowledge to help Spartan athletes and students on and off the field.

After years of training and education around the world, Jildeh has returned to his hometown of East Lansing to provide care for the community that raised him. Jildeh said it is touching to be a part of the university again.

His clinical practice in the orthopedic center specializes in sports medicine, joint preservation, meniscus and cartilage restoration, trauma surgery and complex operative and non-operative approaches to the shoulder, knee, hip and elbow. Jildeh also works as a team physician and assistant professor.

He said his main goal is to provide world-class healthcare to Michigan State students and the community as a whole. He also hopes to continue his research efforts to put MSU Health Care at a level of clinical excellence.

For the past 10 years Lissy has been building his practice in New York, but he moved to Michigan when the opportunity came to work with Michigan State’s Big Ten athletes. Lissy said he found the opportunity to work with higher caliber athletes exciting.

Lissy specializes in knee and shoulder instability and treats a lot of dislocated shoulders and knee caps, torn ligaments in the knees and problems with the meniscus and cartilage. While many of those injuries can be avoided in contact sports, he said athletes should maintain their health and strength to lessen the risk of injury.

As a team physician with MSU Athletics, Lissy said he enjoys working with motivated athletes to help them get back into their sport. Lissy works with athletes of all levels, including intramural teams and he said he hopes to be as close to a part of the teams as possible.

‘Dana Nessel lied to the community’: Community leaders speak out against charges filed against DeAnthony VanAtten

A critical mass was held at the East Lansing City Council meeting on Tuesday, with community leaders and members denouncing charges filed against DeAnthony VanAtten, a Black man, who was shot by East Lansing police officers in April.

VanAtten was charged by Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel’s office with seven felony counts, including four counts of assault and three weapons charges.

He is also charged with one count of third-degree retail fraud – a misdemeanor.

The two officers involved were not charged following an investigation by the attorney general’s Public Integrity Unit.

“(The attorney general) exonerated the police. She refused to even mention race in her press release. She labeled him an immediate and extreme threat,” Kath Edsall, a commissioner on the city’s East Lansing Independent Police Oversight Commission said.”By her calculation, he deserved more than 25 years in prison, more than life, with multiple felony convictions … so she could justify the shooting because that was her best political calculation.”

Karrington Kelsey, a member of Black Lives Matter Lansing, said the shooting of VanAtten and the actions of the department have shown how they value Black lives.

In addition, Kelsey said the ELPD violated Ordinance 1490, which “prohibits calling the police based on racial motives versus criminal conduct.”

Dana Watson, East Lansing council member and Co-Council Liasion to the Oversight Commission, said the purpose of the commission is to increase accountability of the police department and “to strengthen conditions leading to trust in the department by the community that it is pledged to serve.”

MSU students share their favorite on-campus study spots

Neuroscience senior Anjali Desai has a hefty workload — she balances two majors, two minors and lab work. Most of her courses are STEM-based.

When her responsibilities begin to pile up, Desai, like many other MSU students, seeks refuge in one of her favorite study spots.

While all students’ workloads might not be as substantial as hers, they will more than likely find themselves looking to escape distractions and disturbances, seeking somewhere they can get to work.

(For popular study spots), Located just north of the Red Cedar River at 366 W. Circle Drive, MSU’s main library is likely one of the most popular locations for students to study and complete homework. The library provides a silent location with comfortable seating and plenty of space to spread out your computer, books and other materials.

The Main Library features both individual and group private study rooms.

She said she also likes the quiet atmosphere of the John F. Schaefer law library — located near the Eli Broad College of Business. When she’s working more casually, watching a recorded lecture or catching up on some work with her friends, she visits 1855 Place and the STEM Building.

Additionally, some students might find that on-campus dining halls make a fine place for a study session. Students can find a private table, spread their work out and take breaks to grab a snack or a drink.

Based on original reporting by Vivian Barrett, Wajeeha Kamal, and Jack Armstrong.