Loup Barrow on the Cristal Baschet, the composing process, and his new album: Immenio
Martin Goleski, Writer/Volunteer • August 11, 2024

EAST LANSING- The cristal baschet is a strange instrument, and a strange choice for one’s specialty. Maybe after being surrounded...

Season preview: MSU men’s soccer team looks for another year at the top of the Big Ten

Avery Kotel
MSU junior midfielder Sean Kerrigan moves the ball against Maryland on Sunday, October 15, 2023 at DeMartin Stadium.

EAST LANSING- Coming off a third-place finish in the Big Ten last season, the Michigan State Spartans look to replicate success with new faces; while also having veterans to lead the way.

Seven incoming freshmen join Spartan head coach Damon Rensing

In the offseason, Rensing and his staff have been preparing for seven new freshmen to join the team.

#3 Jared Smid: 6’0 midfielder from Madison, Ala.

#5 Brandon Munson: 5’10 defenseman from Spring Hill, Fla.

#9 Mohamed Saad: 6’2 forward from Madison Heights, Mich.

#15 Oscar Huerta: Forward from Melvindale, Mich.

#28 Jake Grekowicz: 6’3 goalkeeper from Rochester, Mich.

#13 Myles Foster: (Redshirt freshman) 6’3 defenseman from East Lansing, Mich.

#32 Alec Laible: (Redshirt freshman) 6’3 goalkeeper from Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Stars returning for Rensing

Not only are new faces coming into the Spartan roster, but many returning athletes are looking to build off a 7-2-7 record in 2023, along with an impressive 3-1-4 conference record. 

Rising senior from Sligo, Ireland, Sean Kerrigan will look to build off an impressive debut junior year in the green and white. 

Sean Keerigan interacts with MSU fans in Michigan State’s matchup vs Dayton.

The midfielder led the team in points in 2023, with six goals. Kerrigan also had the most penalty kicks, attempting six while finding the back of the net five times. Kerrigan also played heroics for MSU all season in 2023, with four game-winning goals. 

Following Kerrigan is Jonathan Stout. The rising junior finished second on the team in points in 2023 as he was able to notch five-goals with 10 shots on goal. 

One of those goals propelled MSU to victory as Stout had the game-winning goal against Army on September 1. In 2023 the Spartan forward earned first-team All-Big Ten honors. 

Rising juniors Jake Spadafora and Jeremy Sharp will also be big leaders for Rensing in the 2024 incoming season. 

Spadafora had three goals in the 2023 season, while also leading the team with 31 shots. The Northville native earned second-team All-Big Ten honors for his 2023 success.

Sophomore forward Jake Spadafora moves the ball for the Spartans against Oakland at DeMartin Stadium on Tuesday, September 26, 2023. Spadafora was one of two goal scorers in the match for Michigan State in a 2-2 draw. (Peyton Skiver)

As for Sharp, he led the Spartans with five assists in the 2023 season, which also placed him fourth in the Big Ten. The junior defenseman was able to find one goal on 10 shots on goal as well. 

A steel wall returning in front of the net

A massive part of Rensing’s era and the Spartans success in 2023 was the play of Zac Kelly. 

Zac Kelly prepares to defend the net against Dayton.

The redshirt junior returns for the 2024 season with hopes of having a replicate year of the 2022 season. Kelly was able to notch five shutouts last season, with 62 saves and a .805 save percentage. 

The Holt native finished third in the Big Ten in goals against average (0.94) while also leading the conference in saves per game (3.88).

Looking ahead

Michigan State will open exhibition play on August 12 with an exhibition against Butler, and will begin regular season play against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville on August 22 in Illinois. 

Michigan State will see the pitch at DeMartin Stadium for the first time on August 26 when they host Bowling Green. 

After a 3-1-4 conference record last year, the Spartans will have their first chance to start with clean record when they open conference play against Washington at DeMartin on September 13.