Loup Barrow on the Cristal Baschet, the composing process, and his new album: Immenio
Martin Goleski, Writer/Volunteer • August 11, 2024

EAST LANSING- The cristal baschet is a strange instrument, and a strange choice for one’s specialty. Maybe after being surrounded...

MSU hockey adds six freshman and three transfers for the 2024-25 season

EAST LANSING- Coming off of one of the most impressive seasons in program history that featured a Big Ten regular season and tournament championship, Michigan State hockey added several talented freshmen and transfers for the 2024-25 season.

The Spartans added six freshmen and three transfers in hopes of continuing their success in head coach Adam Nightingale’s third season. 

Owen West

Owen West, a freshman from Pittsboro, IN joins the Spartans after playing two seasons with the Des Moines Buccaneers in the USHL. West played as a defenseman for the Buccaneers recording seven goals and 12 assists in his final season with Des Moines.

Vladislav Lukashevich

Vladislav Lukashevich, a defenseman from Russia joins the Spartans after playing for the Tri-City Storm recording 11 goals and 43 points in 54 games for the Storm. Lukashevich like many players on MSU’s roster has already been drafted by an NHL team. The Florida Panthers drafted Lukashevich in the fourth round in 2021.

Mikey DeAngelo 

A native of Ithasca, Ill, Mikey DeAngelo is coming off an impressive final season with the Green Bay Gamblers in the USHL. The forward was a captain for the Gamblers in his final season recording 23 goals and 52 points in 58 games.

Kaden Nelson

A forward from Duluth, MN, Kaden Nelson played for the Oklahoma Warriors in the NAHL. In his second season with the Warriors, Nelson recorded a career-high 49 points, 23 goals, and 26 assists during the 2023-24 season.

Nathan Mackie

Nathan Mackie, a forward from British Columbia joins the Spartans recently playing for Salmon Arm Silverbacks in the BCHL. In his final season with the Silverbacks, Mackie recorded 10 goals, 12 assists, and 22 points. Mackie was also impressive in the playoffs for the Silverbacks compiling 6 goals, 6 assists, and 12 points.

Shane Vansaghi

Shane Vansaghi played as a forward for the USA National Development Team (USNDTP) and is projected to be drafted in next year’s NHL Draft. During his last season with the National Development team, Vansaghi notched 12 goals and 11 assists. Vansaghi played 59 games last season with the team and also played on the U18 IIHF World Junior team.

Charlie Stramel

Former Wisconsin junior forward and 2023 first-round selection by the Minnesota Wild, Charlie Stramel is one of the three transfers to join the Spartans for the 2024-25 season. Last season with the Badgers, Stramel recorded eight points with three goals and five assists in 35 games.

Nicklas Andrews

A transfer defenseman from Colorado College, Nicklas Andrews joins the Spartans as a graduate transfer. A native of Canton, MI, Andrews was impressive in his senior season for the Tigers. Andrews recorded a career-high 17-point season with three goals and 14 assists. For his stellar play on the ice, Andrews was named a finalist for the Defenseman of the Year in the NCHC.

Dolan Gilbert

Dolan Gilbert joins the Spartans as a transfer from Concordia University in Wisconsin. During the 2022-23 season for Concordia, Gilbert recorded a .810 save percentage in the 10 games that he appeared in. The highlight of Gilbert’s freshman year with Falcons was putting up a season high 45 saves in a game against Adrian. Gilbert will be joining the Spartans program as a junior.