2023 Three-star QB Bo Edmundson commits to MSU

MSU head coach Mel Tucker during the Spartans’ 30-27 win over Penn State on Nov. 27, 2021/Photo Credit: Sarah Smith/WDBM

Carter Landis, General Assignment Reporter

EAST LANSING, Mich. – Michigan State has added a quarterback to its 2023 recruiting class, landing a commitment from Lake Travis High School’s Bo Edmundson. Edmundson is the fifth member of head coach Mel Tucker’s 2023 class, and the second player from the state of Texas, joining four-star running back Kedrick Reescano. 

Edmundson, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound junior from Austin, Texas, is ranked as the No. 433 overall player in the 2023 class, according to 247Sports. He, along with the Spartans, received offers from schools such as Oklahoma State, Utah, Pittsburgh, Kentucky, West Virginia, Houston and SMU, as well as other Big Ten schools such as Purdue and Penn State. He was offered by offensive coordinator Jay Johnson in May of 2021. 

He is also rated as the No. 22 overall quarterback in the 2023 recruiting class and the No. 71 overall recruit in Texas by 247Sports. Lake Travis High School has produced NFL starting quarterback Baker Mayfield, Ohio State wideout Garrett Wilson, 2021 fifth-round pick Brenden Jaimes of the Los Angeles Chargers and current NFL quarterback Garrett Gilbert, among others.

Edmundson has completed 63% of his passes for 4,648 yards in his two years as the starter for Lake Travis; he has thrown 55 touchdowns, 38 of them in his junior season, and 11 interceptions. He has shown elite pocket presence, next-level ball placement, and noticeable arm strength against some of the best competition in the state of Texas. He is the second-ranked quarterback from the state of Texas, trailing only Oklahoma commit Jackson Arnold. 

Edmundson’s commitment bumps Michigan State’s 2023 class up into the top five nationally, and third in the Big Ten, just behind Michigan and Penn State, according to 247Sports.

He becomes the second three-star that the Spartans have added, alongside offensive lineman Johnathan Slack Jr. from Detroit.