ICHD to resume Johnson & Johnson vaccine issuance on May 3

An MSU student celebrates after being vaccinated at the MSU student clinic/ Photo Credit: MSU University Communications

Nathan Stearns, News Director

INGHAM COUNTY- Following a brief hiatus, the Ingham County Health Department is offering the one-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine at select area vaccination clinics beginning in May 3.

The vaccine was previously halted in April 13 while the CDC and FDA reviewed isolated cases of women developing blood clots after receiving the vaccine.

During the pause, both agencies identified 15 overall blood clotting cases out of the nearly seven million doses that were issued. All of the cases occurred in women between the ages of 18-49.  While a small risk, the CDC and FDA decided that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks.

“The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is a vital part the U.S. vaccine supply,” said Ingham County Health Officer Linda S. Vail. “For some, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine may be the best choice. For others, Pfizer or Moderna may be the best choice. With increased supply, people have options. The bottom line is that any of these vaccines is better than no vaccine. The risk for COVID-19 followed by a serious illness or death is significantly higher than the risk for a severe, adverse reaction from the vaccine.”

Women who sign up to receive a vaccine within the county and fall into the 18-49 age range will have the opportunity to receive the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.