MSU WR Tre’von Morgan enters transfer portal

Tre’Von Morgan skies for his first career reception and touchdown against Penn State/ Photo Credit: MSU Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Football Beat Reporter

EAST LANSING— Michigan State wide receiver Tre’Von Morgan is the latest Spartan to enter his name in the transfer portal. 

Morgan, a 6-foot-7 redshirt freshman, had a quiet season overall, but he did shine in the Spartans’ season-ending loss to Penn State. Morgan caught two passes for 46 yards and a touchdown against the Nittany Lions; those were his only two receptions of the season.

Morgan was a three-star recruit out of Massillon, Ohio. He was rated by 247Sports as the No. 17 player in Ohio as well as the No. 477 player in the country amongst the 2019 recruiting class. His composite rating of 0.8829 placed him as the No. 5 overall recruit within the 2019 MSU recruiting class.

In addition to being offered by MSU, Morgan held offers from Iowa State, Cincinnati, Iowa, Missouri, Ole Miss, Pittsburgh, TCU, Virginia and Washington State, among others.

Morgan is the latest change in a complete roster upheaval that has already seen four other members of the 2019 recruiting class—Devontae Dobbs, Julian Barnett, Anthony Williams Jr. and Luke Fulton—enter the transfer portal for various reasons. Dobbs and Barnett have both since transferred to Memphis.

Overall, 14 players have entered the transfer portal.

Despite struggling to carve out a consistent role in a crowded receiver room, Morgan is a red zone threat that possesses more height than either Jalen Nailor, Jayden Reed or Montorie Foster. Losing Morgan could hurt a Spartan receiving core that currently lacks a tall and lanky receiver who excels at catching jump-balls and boxing out smaller defensive backs. 

Several other notable Spartan players, including cornerbacks Chris Jackson and Davion Williams, fullback Max Rosenthal and long snapper Jude Pedrozo are currently still in the portal.