Four student-athletes test positive for COVID-19 in latest round of testing

Breslin+Center%2FPhoto+Credit%3A+Michigan+State+Athletic+Communications+

Breslin Center/Photo Credit: Michigan State Athletic Communications

Nathan Stearns, Sports Editorial Assistant

EAST LANSING — From Nov. 20-25, Michigan State University tested 33 student-athletes and seven staff members for COVID-19. Four student-athletes and one staff member tested positive.

Student-athletes within the sports of men’s and women’s basketball, hockey and football are currently taking part in the Big Ten’s dailly antigen testing program. 

Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 will be held out of competition for a minimum of 21 days due to Big Ten regulations. Athletes must also undergo heart screenings and daily wellness checks before being cleared to return to action. 

Although it is unknown who specifically tested positive for COVID-19, it was revealed earlier in the week that both Matt Carrick and Naquan Jones dealt with the virus over the summer. Both players have subsequently returned to action. 

The COVID-19 pandemic has already caused multiple college football and basketball games to be canceled this week, including the USC vs. Colorado and Arkansas vs. Missouri football games. Alabama coach Nick Saban also recently announced that he had tested positive for COVID-19.

Since the beginning of June, MSU has conducted over 3,100 total COVID-19 PCR tests on student-athletes and staff members. Overall, 171 student-athletes and 13 staff members have contracted the virus since the testing program began.

The latest results for COVID-19 rates within the MSU community can be found here.