Impact 89FM

The Sci-Files – 5/12/2019 – Chelsea Weiskerger – Quality of the Great Lakes Beaches

Back to Article
Back to Article

PlayPlay

On this week’s The Sci-Files, your hosts Chelsie and Danny interview Chelsea Weiskerger from the Department of Environmental Engineering, pursuing a Dual Ph.D. with Environmental Science and Policy

Chelsea has been involved in several different research projects focusing on how water quality and beaches affect public health. She has published statistical models of long-term (10-15 year) beach water quality patterns in Lake Michigan and Lake Erie. She has also created models of how sunlight behaves within water; which can indicate water quality conditions.

Beach sand has been a source of microbiological contamination, so Chelsea is currently working on a project to see how urbanization and climate change may affect it. Much of her research has involved fieldwork, analysis of water samples, and statistical modeling of the Great Lakes.

Moving forward, Chelsea is planning to research the effects of river outlets on beach water quality, since they change with stormwater runoff. Overall, she hopes to use her skills to influence clean water policy and maximize the protection of the public at beaches.

If you’re interested in talking about your MSU research on the radio or nominating a student, please email Chelsie and Danny at scifiles@impact89fm.org. Check The Sci-Files out on Twitter @SciFiles89FM!

About the Writers
Chelsie Boodoo, The Sci-Files Host

Chelsie is a Biomedical Engineering Ph.D. student at Michigan State University. She studies what happens when the bladder is overstretched. Specifically, she is curious about what happens to the extracellular matrix and the metabolism of the cells after they are stretched. She co-hosts an Exposure Series, The Sci-Files with Daniel Puentes. Together they explore the different topics that graduate students study on The Sci-Files at WDBM.

Daniel Puentes, The Sci-Files Host

Daniel is a graduate student in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, where he does research at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory. His research involves measuring the mass of radioactive nuclei, and how it can tell us how protons and neutrons are arranged inside of a nucleus. This research also helps scientists understand how the elements were created in different stellar environments! At WDBM, he and Chelsie Boodoo co-host The Sci-Files.