Impact 89FM

Exposure – 4/21/19 – Dr. Guillen on science and religion, and SciFiles: Deserts

Back to Article
Back to Article

This week on Exposure, George and Stephanie spoke to Dr. Michael Guillen, a Harvard alum with a triple PhD in mathematics, astronomy, and physics!

Dr. Guillen was visiting Michigan State University as part of the God’s Not Dead tour with Dr. Rice Broocks. We talked to him about his time on the tour, as well as how his own experiences have shaped his journey as a man of science and man of faith – which led to some quality life advice for listeners of all backgrounds. To get in touch with Dr. Guillen, look for him on Facebook!

On Sci-Files, Chelsie and Danny talk to Robert Logan about his research on deserts. Deserts overall have been getting hotter, so by studying desert micro-organisms, Robert and other scientists can determine the effects of this increase. 

About the Writers
Stephanie Stapert, Author

Stephanie is from Grand Rapids and is a junior majoring in Creative Advertising at Michigan State. At WDBM she is the website manager, interview coordinator, and the host of Exposure. You can find her singing along to any song, running around doing too much work, commenting on every play at any sporting event or encouraging her friends to do something adventurous. Check out what else she can do on her website!

George McNeill, Author, Assistant Programming Director

George McNeill grew up on classic rock and contemporary Christian praise — a staple of the early 2000s in rural mid-Michigan, or at least with his family. Since then, George has become an avid fan of all sorts of sound, specifically in the realms of funk, jazz, R&B and rock. Though his all-time favorites remain The Beatles and Talking Heads, he currently has a soft spot for the sounds of King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Anderson .Paak, and Mako Road. When he’s not writing something obscure...

Chelsie Boodoo, The Sci-Files Host

Chelsie is a Biomedical Engineering Ph.D. student at Michigan State University. She studies what happens when the bladder is overstretched. Specifically, she is curious about what happens to the extracellular matrix and the metabolism of the cells after they are stretched. She co-hosts an Exposure Series, The Sci-Files with Daniel Puentes. Together they explore the different topics that graduate students study on The Sci-Files at WDBM.

Daniel Puentes, The Sci-Files Host

Daniel is a graduate student in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, where he does research at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory. His research involves measuring the mass of radioactive nuclei, and how it can tell us how protons and neutrons are arranged inside of a nucleus. This research also helps scientists understand how the elements were created in different stellar environments! At WDBM, he and Chelsie Boodoo co-host The Sci-Files.