Impact 89FM

The Sci-Files – 3/24/2019 – John Tran – Plant BioFuels

Back to Article
Back to Article

PlayPlay

On this weeks episode of The Sci-Files, Daniel and Chelsie interview John Tran. John is a Plant Biology Ph.D. student at Michigan State University looking to improve bioenergy. He studies the plant cell wall which provides plants structural support and protection. The layer can be tough and rigid, which can make the production of plant biomass less amenable for bioenergy purposes. John’s goal is to tune the cell wall, so plants can grow healthy as well as be used more efficiently for producing biofuel.

If you’re interested in talking about your MSU research on the radio, or nominating a student please email Chelsie and Danny at scifiles@impact89fm.org. Also check out Sci-Files out on Twitter @SciFiles89FM

About the Writers
Chelsie Boodoo, The Sci-Files Host

Chelsie is a Biomedical Engineering Ph.D. student at Michigan State University. She studies what happens when the bladder is overstretched. Specifically, she is curious about what happens to the extracellular matrix and the metabolism of the cells after they are stretched. She co-hosts an Exposure Series, The Sci-Files with Daniel Puentes. Together they explore the different topics that graduate students study on The Sci-Files at WDBM.

Daniel Puentes, The Sci-Files Host

Daniel is a graduate student in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, where he does research at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory. His research involves measuring the mass of radioactive nuclei, and how it can tell us how protons and neutrons are arranged inside of a nucleus. This research also helps scientists understand how the elements were created in different stellar environments! At WDBM, he and Chelsie Boodoo co-host The Sci-Files.